xp project in the works

B Jordan

i am interested in building an xp for pdog hunting around the 1000 yds mark what is the lightest recoiling caliber that would work well enough to get me there ?
here is what i had on my mind just wondering what you guys thought

1. 6.5x284
2. 6mmx284
3. 243 win??????
4. 243 ackly???
5. 7mm wsm
6. 270 wsm

i dont really know about the 243win or 243 ackly i have had good luck with them to around 1200 with dtacs out of a rifle but was concerned about the loss of velocity with the shorter barrel i really would rather stay away from the wsm's because of the recoil if anyone has a better idea on the caliber please speak up they are just what come to mind

i emailed joel russo tonight about a lee six style rear grip stock is this a good choice for a stock?

thanks for you help in advance,Brian

Brian,

E-mail sent..

Send "xphunter", Ernie, a pm and ask him all your questions.
He's a great guy and very knowledgable with the build your talking about.

All the calibers you listed will work great. Out of the ones you listed, I would say the 6.5x284 is your best choice.

W.

I am interested in building an xp for pdog hunting around the 1000 yds mark what is the lightest recoiling caliber that would work well enough to get me there ?
here is what i had on my mind just wondering what you guys thought
1. 6.5x284
2. 6mmx284
3. 243 win??????
4. 243 ackly???
5. 7mm wsm
6. 270 wsm
I emailed Joel Russo tonight about a Lee Six style rear grip stock is this a good choice for a stock?
thanks for you help in advance,Brian

Brian,
The Lee 6 would work, and Joel also can build you laminated rear-grip McMillan BR clone. I have a rear grip McMillan BR stock on my 6.5-284 and I like it.
You don't need to go to a WSM for 1K. Your first 4 listed would get you there.
I have gone beyond 1k on pd's with both the 6-284 and 6.5-284.
Eric Wallace got so close several times a couple of weeks ago with a rear grip XP in 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua between 1,400-1,600 yards it wasn't funny.
I would go with a 1-8 twist with your 6.5's and 7.5 to 8 twist on the 6mm's.
You will lose around 300 fps (give/take) when using a 17-18 inch barrel.
Hope this gets you started-Sounds liek you are on the right track.

also was wondering about muzzle break choices do i want more of a hole in the top to stop muzzle rise? or by the time you factor in a heavy barrel was planing to have a 1" muzzle the rear grip and the bipod on the front will it kick more like a rifle ?

Yes.....there are no Federal Laws regulating the maximum length of a pistol barrel........

also was wondering about muzzle break choices do i want more of a hole in the top to stop muzzle rise? or by the time you factor in a heavy barrel was planing to have a 1" muzzle the rear grip and the bipod on the front will it kick more like a rifle ?

Brian,
Buzz is correct.
The brakes I prefer are of this style:
Holland's Quick Discharge, Shawn's Defensive Edge, Lawton's paritition brake, and Kirby's (but i don't have one of his, yet:D).
These are all solid-bottomed brakes. Kirby's & Shawn's have no top ports while Holland's has three circular ported on top and Lawton's has one.

Any of these will work well. Combined with a heavy barrel it will be very little recoil-easy to use a rifle scope with.
Eric's 6x47 Laupa allows him to spot his own shots some of the time.

Doe Run has 1k matches (600 yds. also?) and it is in SW Missouri.
If you like to travel, there is an all handgun comp in Sundance WY (500, 750, & 1k).
If you enjoy LR shooting this would give you some other opportunities besides pd's

You may want to check with your State of Missouri on the maximum barrel length allowed on a handgun. While "buzzgun" is correct in that there are not any Federal Regulations on pistol barrel length. It will vary State to State. Where I live in New York State the maximum legal barrel length is 16 inches. There is no minimum barrel length. Autoloading pistols must have a barrel length of less than 8 inches. Good luck with your project. I hope this helps some.

does it make a big differance if the stock is rear grip or mid grip in the way it kicks? i was just thinking a reargrip would keep the muzzle from jumping as bad

the reason i was asking is i am trying to get this project going before i go pd hunting in about a month and it seems that someone has bought up every rear grip xp stock in the USA and since i have no preferance because i have only shot a contender a few hundred times it would make no differance to me if it was reargrip or midgrip if there is no advantage when shooting off a bench

With a heavy barrel and a good brake either will work for you
Rear grip allows you to buy a trigger like the Jewell.
Have you contacted Joel Russo or Neal (338Hammer) about rear grip stocks?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.