Xmas came early...found Rem reciever in safe

Blkz06

I just received my Crescent Customs 300WSM a week or so ago, was putting it in the safe and low and behold out fell a new Remington receiver in short action. Yeah I have that much crap in the safe.

I'm all giddy with anticipation...but what do I go with now? I already have a Crescent Customs .308, a Crescent Customs 300WSM (thank ya, Moon) and a 280 AI from Short Action Customs (thanks Mark).

Those rifles are wearing anything from an M24 barrel, to GAP #6's...in other words they are a bit on the heavy side.

This time..I'm going to go with Bartlein (again), around a #4 with an Elite Stock..thinking more of a lighter weight rig.

Want to be able to hunt about anything up thru Mule Deer...so 140's-160's will be the call.

Whatcha guys think about a 7WSM?

7 SAUM

I recently bought one in a stainless Model Seven with a 22" barrel. I'm getting around 2950fps with 160 grain Accubonds and Partitions. I love this rifle and caliber.

Not sure how far you want to shoot but I would go with a 6.5X47 Lapua. Just got mine from RBROS and wow does it shoot nice. it would be effective on deer size game out to 700-800 yds. I shoot the 130 Berger in mine. Really enjoying this caliber. Plus it should fit nicely in your short action.

6.5 saum #4 bartlien 26" McMillian A3 sporter with edge technology

7 SAUM

I recently bought one in a stainless Model Seven with a 22" barrel. I'm getting around 2950fps with 160 grain Accubonds and Partitions. I love this rifle and caliber.

2 interesting calibers and recommendations. It looks as though the 7 SAUM and 7WSM run neck and neck ballistic wise, but the 7WSM is hard on barrels.

Don't know much about the 6.5 SAUM but I'm going to research it a bit more.

I will say my 300WSM shoots like a dream and is easily a sub 1/4 gun when I do my part so I know the perception that the WSM rounds are not accurate are false.

I'm building my SA lightweight rig right now. I'm planning on a 6.5CM, but I still haven't ruled out a 6.5SAUM. CM brass is easy to find and less prep than the SAUM. It will have a short LOP for the wife to shoot and it will be a capable light weight short handy rifle for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.