Max humidity in your gun safe

I like to keep my gun room at 55% or lower. Give or take 5%. I have a golden rod in my safe, that's in the gun room. I have several die sets and presses that never rust. Including some Hornady equipment that's known to rust easily.

To me 30% is ideal. I'm more worried about it getting too dry causing wooden things to crack in the winter.

I run 2 large dehumidifiers in my basement and they keep it at 40%. I use the auto
shutoff at 40% and it's been just fine Guns..Knives..Fishing tackle all are rust free!
Several of my 1911's have polished blue finishes and everything is fine!

Absolute max is 60% for me. I aim for 75ish degrees at 50% since that's around what i've seen suggested for firearms museums (70/50). Since I live in the southeast I have to take care not to waste time with the safe door open. Treat it like a refrigerator, in and out.

I live in AZ. So don't usually worry about it. But during our monsoon season, it can get pretty humid, like 80% at times. I keep a couple big packs of a desiccant in the safe at all times. Only wood in there is my shotguns, and those have always been AZ guns, some are 30 years old and one is 99 years old. No warping or cracking.

I have 2 dehumidifiers in the basement. One is set to 45% and my back up is set for 55%. I also keep one of those rechargeable packs in the safe. No rust with this set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.