Wyoming sheep

I wish you a successful hunt, Bruce. Don't forget to get some scenery pictures so you can post them, too. All of us flatlanders in the East enjoy them as well as your trophy pictures.
Ben

Hi Ibexhunter. To hunt a bighorn sheep in Wyoming you have to obtain a liscense. There are only a few allowed each year to keep them from being overhunted. There is a lottery each year to draw liscenses. Each year you apply you get a preference point. 75% of the liscenses go to those with the most preference points. I had to apply 16 years to get my liscense. Most hunts with a guide are $7500 to $9500 AFTER you obtain the liscense.
A few liscenses are auctioned each year. These usually go for in excess of $30,000 and may be over $50,000.
Some areas in Alaska for Dall sheep have liscenses that can be purchased over the counter. No draw required. A guide is required for those that do not live in Alaske. Dall sheep hunts usually seem to run $10,000 to $18,000.
Stone sheep have a limited range and right now the prices I'm seeing are in the $30,000 to $45,000 range. Those are in Canada and a guide is required.
A desert Bighorn is the hardest to draw a liscense for. A rarer species. I saw a ranch hunt about 1 1/2 years ago where they wanted $71,000 to hunt one. Boone and Crocket quality were available. Mexico has some. Last I heard about $40,000. That may of changed. At least that gives you an idea of the costs associated with the "grand slam" here in North America. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.