Wyoming questions

I would "practice" out to 1000; it will make your 300 yard shot seem easy. During season, the speed goats get pretty skidish and it can be a challenge to get close if they have been shot at. I wouldn't shoot at one unless I was confident I could get a solid hit. Depending on your area, the wind can be wild.

I would be prepared out to 400. The moo cow decoy works like a charm in open country if they are skiddish. If on public land, they usually are. As mentioned previously, good stalking skills help.

Last year I hunted a ranch that was very flat and had few terrain variations for cover. I killed my buck at 621 yards, a doe at 454 yards and another at 379 yards.
The year prior, at another locale, I killed three... one was 120 yards and two were within 50 yards.
Terrain dictates. Both of these examples were kind of the extremes in my experiences.
For the most part, I would at least practice to 400 yards and limit shots to 300, unless you feel proficient beyond that. Watch that wind and get a good rangefinder...
Have fun!

3DMjEm7.jpg

I guess since the beginning of time, that chart could be correct. I also know that bow hunters shoot antelope in blinds near waterholes at 30 yards or less. My comment was that if you are going after a really nice antelope buck with a rifle on public land where they get spooky within days of opening season, you are most likely going to be shooting your big buck over 200 yards. If you are shooting does or just any 'ol buck, then much less.

If shooting with bow from waterhole I'd be prepared for shots at 10 to 50 yards....depending upon how big the water source is. Every antelope I've harvested with rifle has been in the 100 to 300 yard range. If I can get inside 300 yards they are dead!

My experience has been 300 yards is average. My longest just over 500 yards and closest under 50 yards.
I love Spot and Stalk hunting. Even in country where there is little cover you usually can get closer and should if you can that's the fun stalking on foot.

The last 5 antelope have been shot between 409 and 478 yards. To date the shortest was 35 yards and 865 the longest.
The wind being the biggest factor with long shots.....the wind will also push them off the flats and open country

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.