Wyoming Hunt Advice

Your guide will be the best person for gear suggestions. I usually wear blue jeans and a hooded sweatshirt. I normally hunt the 2nd week of October in southeastern WY.
This is a good point. Basic gear can get you a long ways. It limits you when they weather turns foul, but that not a daily experience.

If you really want cheap hunting clothes, go to Goodwill or Savers or other thrift stores and pick up military surplus. We have an Air Force base here in Albuquerque, so I find great clothes for next to nothing. They are tough, insect repellant, and some of the newer shirts come with elbow pads. I found that handy on my antelope hunt last year. The pants have a pocket at the knees, and I cut up a blue backpacking pad and insert it. Great for cleaning an animal also, although on a guided hunt that probably won't be an issue. I found a camo windbreaker that is super light, and is one of my favorite pieces of gear. If it is cold and windy, I wear my rain gear. I've never hunted Wyoming, but in AZ and NM, my Merrel boots work great. Light boots make for easier walking. Do try to get in shape for hunting. The best exercise I found was to hike with a pack. It made the uphill climbs much easier. My calves don't burn anymore. If you have time to get there a day or two early, that will help with altitude. Carry lots of water. I carry about 80 oz. of water a day. My friend drinks twice that. Staying hydrated makes hiking easier and helps prevent altitude sickness.

You might mention location too since clothing requirements can vary a lot depending on hunting the lower elevations to the higher elevations. Since antelope is mentioned, I think it is lower elevations and I believe the clothes you have for whitetail hunting can be sufficient.
+1

We left Casper for AK in 2017... I know it's been covered thoroughly but the weather in Casper is just nuts. We have taken the kids trick-or-treating in shorts, and in a foot of snow. One time it snowed a few inches on July 4th. Lol...

And Don Juan's has the best Mexican food in town, IMO. (not amazing but passable for this Texas boy)

Good luck!! 🍻

My son and I are going on a guided mule deer and antelope hunt the last week of October. While we are experienced hunters, this will be our first western hunt. We have been practicing shooting off the bipod in various positions and are comfortable. My question is around what clothing and gear to bring. We are set up for tree stand whitetail hunting, so will probably need a few things. The guide will be sending his gear list later this month, but wanted to get your thoughts.
Wind is going to your X factor . That god forsaken WIND ! And the ability to adjust to the weather . One day it'll be hotter than satans balls and the next day it'll be on the verge of snowing . And dont get overwhelmed with vastness of the area . I've noticed with hunters that don't hunt the west tend to be overtaken with it all . So just slow down relax and trust your guide . Most of all have fun and happy hunting !!

Attachments

• 55D21961-0DF4-4E0F-9DF2-3D1D5C75B95E.png
    55D21961-0DF4-4E0F-9DF2-3D1D5C75B95E.png
    297 KB · Views: 95
I'd call your guide today and get his / her recommendations. I've only lived in WY for 67 years but agree with the comments about weather. Bring layers hats and rain gear. If you want to spend a ton of money, but all of the expensive gear listed or that you want or that you can get your wife to agree with because it is a 'guided Wyoming hunt':) You are a hunter so have comfortable boots, they should be fine. The high-end boots need to be worn-in and are really only necessary for side-hilling in loose scree type IMHO. I've hunted everything here and everywhere - you should be fine. Two points to stress. Practice in the wind. If you get a really windy day where you live, get out there and shoot in it. Make notes, keep your targets - you have to shoot in it to understand and Casper has wind like you won't believe (sometimes). Second - long ranges out here, but I don't like 10x binos because they confuse my brain into thinking the animals are a lot closer that they are - 7x is my preference. You probably have some already (see above if you want to justify a ton of spending). And your guide will have all the glass he needs to get you on whatever. Swing by and I'll loan you whatever you need, just bring it back.

Lots of good advice here. I know the weather can change a lot. When the weather is nice, early season bowhunting gear works fine.
It seems there are always cactus even when you don't see them.
Boots should be comfortable. I use Danner or Mendel. Your guide can tell you if you need boots for mountains.
You might try shooting with a day pack for a rest if you're going to take one.
Bino's, leather gloves, water, warm orange hat, rangefinder, are things I always have with when hunting Wyoming.

You might mention location too since clothing requirements can vary a lot depending on hunting the lower elevations to the higher elevations. Since antelope is mentioned, I think it is lower elevations and I believe the clothes you have for whitetail hunting can be sufficient.
My son and I are going on a guided mule deer and antelope hunt the last week of October. While we are experienced hunters, this will be our first western hunt. We have been practicing shooting off the bipod in various positions and are comfortable. My question is around what clothing and gear to bring. We are set up for tree stand whitetail hunting, so will probably need a few things. The guide will be sending his gear list later this month, but wanted to get your thoughts.
It can be warm and it can be very cold. You can also experience snow - driven snow.

Knee pads and elbow pads FOR SURE. I didnt first time two weeks after my hunt had out patient surgery to remove a @%&* thorn from my elbow. Now days the elbow and knee pads get packed before the rifle. Im originally from WVa and the west is way different in terms of shooting distance and WIND especially around Casper. Good luck and post up some pictures when you return... Been hunting out here since 1991 so going back to WVa seems like give me shots most of the time...

I will reiterate the severity of the central WY weather. Ive seen 80+ mph gusts in Casper. One cannot understand the elements totally until a 40+ wind is driving them through your rubber workwear.
Staying dry is staying alive in that stuff. I imagine your guide can point you to the right gear for basic comfort.
A catalytic handwarmer can be a real asset on a cold, wet or windy day.
Dont over-boot yourself. A sturdy leather hiker works for me, even on snowshoes or sledding with the kids. Lighter is better, to a point, at least.
A light windbreaker can save your bacon, especially when glassing or after the kill.

Being a guided hunt, I am guessing you will not be 'killing yourself' hiking up and down a ton of miles with lots of elevation gain / loss, like a typical DIY hunt on N.F. But even a guided hunt is most likely going to involve a lot higher physical exertion level than any whitetail hunt. Good boots can't be stressed enough. There are lots of options on brands (Lowa, Kenetrek, Crispi, Hanwag, etc). Don't expect your whitetail hunting boots to work. Making sure your boots are well broken in and fit correctly will help keep you hunting. Blisters will end your hunt quickly. I like the Lowa Tibets and the Lowa Ticam II boots for hunting in aggressive mountain terrain. Both of these are uninsulated and have worked well down to 0 degree temps with deep snow. Quality merino wool socks are a wise choice too.
Your whitetail hunting clothes typically don't 'breath' well enough for high exertion / hiking. They can work, but they are not ideal for high exertion hiking. Getting soaked from sweat in late October by being bundled up too much can lead to a miserable situation. Mid wt merino wool base layers are what I use and they have worked well. If your budget allows, check out Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite. These are probably the most widely used brands that focus on western mountain hunting.
Physical Conditioning: This is usually the limiting factor for most of us when hunting in the Rockies. The only advise I can give is to be in the best physical condition that you can get in. The altitude is something that you can't prepare for, but you can help yourself by showing up in good physical condition. Your guide / outfitter will most likely work harder for you if you are able to 'get after it' day after day.
The Hunt Backcountry Podcast / website has some good resources to help educate you on the various aspect of western hunting. These guys focus primarily on elk hunting, but a lot of it applies to mule deer.
Good Luck on your hunt.
My guided mule deer hunt in Wyoming consisted of lot of 'killing yourself' hiking. We'd park the horses at least an hour's climb from where we wanted to be at first light to start glassing. I thought I was in decent shape, but was not in good enough shape for 1000' vertical climbs each day at 7-8000'. The first day was over 1500' vertical after we parked the horses. I made it, but would have preferred to be in better shape. Talk to your outfitter about what a typical hunt day looks like and how much walking you will be doing. Weather is anyone's guess. Last year was warm the whole week I hunted. Bluebird days and short sleeves. Our guides had 'memories' popping up on their phones from exactly one year earlier in a foot of new snow with very cold temps. I had my packable Gore-Tex rain coat with me, but never needed it. Buying clothes now would be a very tough call not knowing what this fall will look like. I took my elk hunting boots with 400 grams Thinsulate. They were a good choice in their construction as we did lots of steep climbing and descending. I didn't need the Thinsulate last year, but 400 grams was still okay. I really like my Crispi boots. My hunting partner had Kennetrek with 400 grams of Thinsulate as well.