Wyoming Hunt Advice

WTH??? Blue jeans and hooded sweatshirt??? Everyone knows you can't kill anything unless you have the latest and greatest camo clothing and pattern! Even camo underwear in case a mulie walks up while you're poopin'.

I'm pretty sure Kuiu, First Lite and Kryptek WILL NOT be sending you Christmas cards.
:cool:

Congratulations on your upcoming hunt! As a lot of the folks on here would probably attest to, many of my fondest hunting memories are from hunts with my daughters and son. There have been a lot of good suggestions on here already, but as a Wyoming native, I think the most pertinent ones are those that indicate how variable the weather can be at that time of year, so have clothes and layering articles for everything from 75 degrees to below freezing. The one thing that you can count on is the wind. Wyoming IS the windiest state in the U.S. and Casper is the 3rd windiest city in Wyoming. 30-40 mph winds are not uncommon in that area, which can push a projectile off target by the entire length of an antelope's body at 300 to 400 yards, depending on the ballistics of your particular cartridge. If you are hunting the end of October, the antelope will have been hunted for 3-4 weeks already, so it will take some good work on your guide's part and a bit of luck to get close enough that wind won't be a factor, so it's good to be prepared to know how much to hold for it at different ranges. If your guide is like most of those in that area, much of your hunting will be from a truck or side by side. There won't be any horseback riding or camping. You may spot animals from the vehicle or hike short distances to elevated positions where you can glass surrounding areas. Antelope hunting is usually one of my favorites, because often you get to look at lots of animals trying to find "the one". Once you find it, that's where the walking, hiking and crawling begin. Lots of good advice as to gear, but most important is probably comfortable, broken in, leather boots. You shouldn't need insulated ones, but water proofing is a good idea. It's good to have all the clothes you might need for different situations, but I would bet you will rarely be more than an hours walk from the hunting vehicle, so not sure how much you have to carry in a day pack. Your guide should be able to give you all that info, and most of the gear you can get last minute, or even once you're there if you forget something, but the boots are something you need to be breaking in now.
Good luck. Looking forward to your report (and living vicariously through you!).

My son and I are going on a guided mule deer and antelope hunt the last week of October. While we are experienced hunters, this will be our first western hunt. We have been practicing shooting off the bipod in various positions and are comfortable. My question is around what clothing and gear to bring. We are set up for tree stand whitetail hunting, so will probably need a few things. The guide will be sending his gear list later this month, but wanted to get your thoughts.
A few years back I also made the jump from serious Eastern white-tail hunter to Western hunter. I also solicited LOTS of advice before my first trip. Much of what I was told was WRONG, or at least inapplicable.

To know what gear you may need, you first need to understand the hunt you will be going on. If you are hunting Muleys & antelope at the same time you will NOT be hunting the high mountains where physical exertion could be extreme and temperatures could fluctuate 50-60° OR MORE in the same day. As such, most of your Eastern gear should be applicable.

You need to discuss with your guide if you will be hunting from pickup trucks, ATVs, Horses, or on foot. Most likely a good deal of your hunt will be on foot, but that is not guaranteed. Some guides cruise farmland looking for animals and only "hunt" on foot once game is spotted.

• You must be prepared for fluctuating weather.
• You must be prepared to crawl through sage brush to get a clear shot at antelope.
• You must be prepared for 300+-yard shots. Your guide will tell you what the maximum range is that you should be prepared for. (I have yet to shoot anything over 30 yards away in the mountains of Montana or Idaho, but I have been ready for much longer shots.)
• I had several people tell me I should be dressed in wool. MISTAKE! Wool is miserable when you get over-heated and heavy when it's wet. Modern hunting fabrics are as quiet, while being dryer, warmer, and much lighter than wool.
• For much of your hunting, I am willing to bet a good pair of hiking shoes will be the best footwear you could have. This is especially true if you will be stalking within range of antelope. I've talked to several hunters who stalk antelope without shoes, wearing only several pairs of thick socks. Then again, if you venture into the mountains, you need a SUBSTANTIAL pair of boots. (I had "Rocky" boots literally fall apart the second day they were worn in the high Rockies.)
• I would not plan on wearing the gear you would wear white-tail hunting in a tree-stand in cold weather if you will be walking at all, as you will quickly get over-heated.
• A good hat that is water-proof and provides good sun protection is important.

Carry an excellent camera in your day-pack. That weight is worth carrying!

Enjoy!

WTH??? Blue jeans and hooded sweatshirt??? Everyone knows you can't kill anything unless you have the latest and greatest camo clothing and pattern! Even camo underwear in case a mulie walks up while you're poopin'.

I'm pretty sure Kuiu, First Lite and Kryptek WILL NOT be sending you Christmas cards.
It took me a while to convince myself I would be fine without camo! I always take plenty clothes because the weather will change.

The altitude is in the 5000 foot range the o2 level will normally be in the 19-21 percent range that time of the year . Normally that time of the year you will have very brisk mornings with temps getting mid 60's to mid 70's during the day but snow isn't out of the question either . There is a lot of sage brush and cactus so keep an eye out for that and don't set in it , a good pair of tweezers is handy to have you can use a not overly sharp knife to scrape the spines out as well the same as you would metal burs . Practice using shooting sticks or tall by-pods as the shooting a lot of times is from the setting position due to the sagebrush and other ground clutter . Keep in mind that there are rattle snakes here as well so if you set beside of a sage brush check it out first but they should be denned up by then unless you get by their den then they will be out on warm days close to the den . Visit with your guide and take advice from them on what to bring with you don't be shy ask questions from a list that you can start writing now so you can remember what it is you want to know when you are talking with them as we all get excited and forget what to ask . At a minim a hunter orange hat is required and I use faded brown duck clothing instead of any other camo with an orange vest over the top . The ground and grass is brown , tan and a faded yellow here that time of the year . The sage brush is gray with a slight greenish gray cast to it . If you have any allergies over the counter meds are available for them in Casper as well as a couple of good medical facilities if God forbid you may need one .

What gloves do you recommend?
I've been using Sitka Gunner WS Gloves. They are pricey, but flexible enough to wear when shooting, and do add some warmth when the cold wind is blowing. Thicker leather is better, but I have issues feeling the trigger when they are too thick. Whatever you pick… practice, practice, practice with them. Just adds to the fun!

I like heavy gloves that withstand cactus spines that are easy to put on and take off for shooting . I just buy some elk hide work gloves most gloves don't fit my hands well any way I have wide hands and short fingers .

It depends on where you're going. I'm from Michigan, brought clothing I would hunt at home wearing, plus some heavier gear in case it got really cold. I ended up wearing a set of milsurp multicam pants, an ice breaker merino long sleeve, camo t shirt over it, and merino socks everyday.
When we were there it was pretty sunny and between 55-65 degrees during the day, nightly lows enough to frost the ground. The day we left they got hammered with a foot of snow.
Constant wind is something to keep in mind for your shooting. Good boots like others have mentioned are a must, I bought a pair of Lowa renegades and my feet loved them.
Also, there was cactus, which I had never thought about, when I got prone to watch and shoot my antelope. I didn't even feel them, but I spent a few minutes with a Leatherman pulling needles out of my knees on the drive home.

Recent Posts