Wyoming Elk Die off?

Timber!

I'm getting ready to apply for a non-resident elk tag in Wyoming, and was considering applying for antelope and deer also, and heading out the last week of October and first week of November.

I've read some articles about a bad die off last winter, particularly in regard to antelope and deer. Does anyone have any more up to date knowledge? I am familiar with the state geographically and have spent some time there, but it's my first time hunting there.

If the antelope and deer outlook are poor, I'll just draw elk. If there are certain regions to avoid, I'll draw a different one.

My overall goal is to draw elk in Wyoming this year and get a preference point for Montana combination for next year.

Thanks in advance, and any suggestions are welcome!

Have to ask the WyomingDepartmentof Transportation about the mortality rate from last winter.....as the animals couldn't get out of the road beds and over the snow berms.....
Finally got info that last years mortality of Idahos SE was really high too.....

It's way to early to apply for Deer and Antelope. Tentative quotas come out mid March.
I'm aware, thank you. If I get the elk tag then that's my plan, which seemed self evident from the explanation in my post. You're reply was very helpful, thank you so much for your insight into the current herd condition in the Rockies and the winter die off from last year. You really helped me to better plan my hunt this year.

Have to ask the WyomingDepartmentof Transportation about the mortality rate from last winter.....as the animals couldn't get out of the road beds and over the snow berms.....
Finally got info that last years mortality of Idahos SE was really high too.....
I'm going to call the wildlife dept on Monday too.

Elk numbers aren't really hurt with last year's winter, deer and antelope is bad. I know this is kinda too late for nr application deadline but I guessed I should reply anyway.

We saw a big difference in the numbers of elk seen during hunting season a couple months ago in south central Wyoming. I can only assume it was due to winter kill the winter before.
Especially the lack of mature bulls

Last edited:
I'm aware, thank you. If I get the elk tag then that's my plan, which seemed self evident from the explanation in my post. You're reply was very helpful, thank you so much for your insight into the current herd condition in the Rockies and the winter die off from last year. You really helped me to better plan my hunt this year.

Attitude and grit, you'll fit right in

I guess I am missing a few pieces of information. Did you research the article fully? Did you follow up with the journalist, where you received the information and ask for references or statistics to back up the article?

Funny thing about the WWW, your browser history and mine only connect at this point, unless you have been streaming "Letterkenny" that is the only POI. Because you or anyone else comes to the table with "information" doesn't mean the rest of the class has that same "information". So, unless you are willing to provide your information for the rest to dissect, which I am guessing you are keeping it close to your chest for fear of creating a panic application situation because the odds might be in favor of the applicant, they can't really help. Seeing how there are roughly 48.5k square miles of public hunting ground in Wyoming, according to the WGFD, it's kinda hard to say for certain there was an appreciable die off in the area you have chosen.

IMG_2937.jpeg

I suspect the numbers aren't fully in for the state as a whole and won't be for this past winter until probably about the time Bob alluded to. I don't know, I am in Texas, last I checked, our elk were fine.

You came here, asked a question and didn't get the answer you wanted or apparently already had a preconceived notion about, that is fair, that is the purpose of the forum, exchanging ideas and information. But, don't come here and immediately poo-poo the information you do get because it didn't come in a specific manner or was the exact information you were expecting.

Now, back to your circus