Wyoming elk

Nice bull, beautiful country.

Myself and 3 others just bought a point for a possible future hunt in WY. I'm the brains of the operation and could use a little help understanding their #'s, odds, and zones. It might make more sense if I had a proc instead of online, but I was wondering if you could give me some pointers.

Any units I should put on my radar? We aren't trophy hunters, the experience means more than inches. I'd rather see 4 raghorns in the truck than one 400".

I'm not sure how many points it will take us to get a decent unit, I'd go the extra mile if it meant we all have a shot opportunity. I know the wilderness will require a guide of some sort.

Nice bull. Congrats TJAY. Hope we see some of that white stuff in Colorado in 2 weeks.

ohiohunter

I am no expert on Wy. elk tags. My method was to pick my area, bucket list trip wilderness area, and then check the outfitters serving that area. Wy. fish and game website does a good job of listing draw odds for areas and how many point you need to get a tag. The wife and I had a great time it was all we hoped it would be.

For the long range shooters. On of the guides is a long range guy and got one of his hunters set up and successful on a 620 yard shot using the guides rifle set up for long shots.

Congrats on your bull!!!

Lots of good elk downed this year because of snow pushing them on the migration route.

The outfitter Bill Perry with Hidden Creek Outfitters had a banner year. I use him exclusively for Wyoming wilderness hunts.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.