Wyoming buck headed for the Bronx!

7mmpredator

Well as anyone who hunted western Wyoming the last few weeks already knows, the temperature was unseasonably high (80 degrees plus). Coupled with the moon phase this made for some tough conditions as the deer were bedding after only the first half hour of the day and coming out to feed just after the sun slid behind the mountains. Lack of snow had them way up at the tops as well. Some good bucks were still killed at camp. I took my buck on the third day of a five day hunt. I must admit with two thirds of the day gone on day three and having seen 25 or so young bucks but no real shooters I slipped into "better lower my expectations mode" or go home empty handed since I do not currently have a muley on my wall! Fortunately as we were about to bail off a mountain for another vantage point for the evening hunt my guide asked me to still hunt down the trail some as a good 4 pointer had been seen down off the left side of the trail on two occasions. Low and behold after only 7 or 8 minutes of ***** footing and glassing down the trail I spotted him to my left. I could only see from his chest up straight but he stood still long enough for me to see his four points per side with nice forks so I let a 140 gr Berger VLD rip and he dropped in his tracks. I'm happy to have brought home a mature muley that my family can enjoy for years to come. In the meantime I'll put my trophy face back on, hope for good weather and plan for the next excursion.

2010mulie.jpg

The shot was offhand at just over 100 yds. Caliber is 6.5x284 out of a Cooper Phoenix with 59gr Retumbo pushing the 140 Berger. Greybull Precision scope. Was busting rocks at camp at 565yds but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!!!

Thanks TD10,

I watched a more than one guy pass on a great buck only to go home empty handed. I guess it's not such a bad thing if you have already taken a muley or two. But now I'm on the map!

Don, nice job of engraving the turret for me! Didn't shoot the buck at long range but poked a bunch of rocks at various distances and the turret was right on.

Thanks for your help. I'm gonna need another scope pretty soon.
Talk to you then.

Eddie Vializ

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.