Wyoming Antelope: Little big guy

JBarton

So my antelope area opened yesterday so I went out to try and find a decent goat. My goal was to harvest a 15" tall goat between 700-1000 yards shooting my 30SM match rifle prone. I'm running the 245gr EOL's at 3040fps around 1/2 moa @1k. I've only had the opportunity to harvest one (1) small buck a few years ago so I wanted this one to count.
I passed on a few first thing and 2 hours in I saw what I thought was a 15" plus goat with half a dozen does in tow. I couldn't get a decent shot at any distance prone so I used my tripod and shot him at 702 yards right when he stepped forward. Shot was behind both shoulders and a through and through. He ran about 20 feet and tanked. Well I got to him and was happy but realized he was not a 15 inch goat. Still a decent buck. I didn't cape him out and just quartered it up and kept the head. Today I measured him to see where he would land. I was thinking mid 70's which isn't bad. Without deductions it measured 84-6/8.
Should I go ahead as planned and just do a European mount or should I try and see if a taxidermist can round up enough hide to do a full mount? I'm leaning towards the European mount. I am going to have someone help me re measure to make sure I did it right. This was my first attempt and might have messed up somewhere. I have attached the form with all of my numbers. I didn't deduct the difference. Either way I am happy with this year's harvest and grateful for the meat in the freezer that will provide food for me and my family.
Thanks
Jeremy
Screenshot_20220910-112350_Messages.jpg20220910_112140.jpg20220910_112255.jpg20220911_191730.jpg

Iv never mounted a pronghorn but plenty of WT. Just a suggestion, but if your possibly thinking about getting him mounted, I would go ahead and do a euro mount. Tell or ask your taxidermist about the possibility of getting a different cape. I know down here in South Ga. getting a cape is so easy. Won't hurt to find out. Then you can decide

If I ever get the chance to take a pronghorn, I hope it's that big. It would definitely be on my wall.

Great pronghorn in my book. Congrats on your hunt and the family meals

So my antelope area opened yesterday so I went out to try and find a decent goat. My goal was to harvest a 15" tall goat between 700-1000 yards shooting my 30SM match rifle prone. I'm running the 245gr EOL's at 3040fps around 1/2 moa @1k. I've only had the opportunity to harvest one (1) small buck a few years ago so I wanted this one to count.
I passed on a few first thing and 2 hours in I saw what I thought was a 15" plus goat with half a dozen does in tow. I couldn't get a decent shot at any distance prone so I used my tripod and shot him at 702 yards right when he stepped forward. Shot was behind both shoulders and a through and through. He ran about 20 feet and tanked. Well I got to him and was happy but realized he was not a 15 inch goat. Still a decent buck. I didn't cape him out and just quartered it up and kept the head. Today I measured him to see where he would land. I was thinking mid 70's which isn't bad. Without deductions it measured 84-6/8.
Should I go ahead as planned and just do a European mount or should I try and see if a taxidermist can round up enough hide to do a full mount? I'm leaning towards the European mount. I am going to have someone help me re measure to make sure I did it right. This was my first attempt and might have messed up somewhere. I have attached the form with all of my numbers. I didn't deduct the difference. Either way I am happy with this year's harvest and grateful for the meat in the freezer that will provide food for me and my family.
Thanks
Jeremy
View attachment 393611View attachment 393612View attachment 393613View attachment 393614
"Nice Shootin Tex"

Nice shooting and a nice speed goat! I did a shoulder mount on my one and only pronghorn (scored 74) but I am from Pennsylvania. Looks like you're from Rock Springs and antelope are plentiful so you know what's out there size wise. Just do the European mount and go for bigger next year. It's that easy when you live in Wyoming! 😁

Attachments

• 47B51F29-5BD7-40B3-909C-A24E4D792132.jpeg
    47B51F29-5BD7-40B3-909C-A24E4D792132.jpeg
    887.6 KB · Views: 93

Recent Posts