Wyoming 8 points

Discussion in 'Antelope Hunting' started by NRF, Sep 21, 2018.

1. NRF

NRF Member

Good afternoon everyone!
    I’m currently at 8 points going into next year, I just applied for PP. what areas do you recommend with 8 points for a rifle tag? I’m looking for Boone and Crockett antelope ( who isn’t ) !! Should I keep buying points or hunt? Any advice is appreciated, I do not know Wyoming at all. I’m looking for great DYI ground but I’m not apposed of a guided hunt. I want to use the tag wisely.
    Thank you all in advance for your expertise.
    NF

2. manitou

manitou Well-Known Member

I would check Rokslide or Hunttalk for this.

3. kraigwy

kraigwy Well-Known Member

There is plenty of public land in Wyoming, I see no reason to spend the money on an outfitter.

There are some pretty nifty bucks in Area 7, and lots of public land.

The trick is to be sure you are out there on openning day before they get spooked.

Doublezranch and Guy M like this.
  4. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

I'm not a good resource for you. I tend to take the first adult buck that offers me a good shot opportunity. The backstraps are superb! :) Honestly, I hunt them because it's a fun hunt, and the meat can be delicious. I only shot this one with my camera. He was on the wrong side of the road for me to hunt!
    [​IMG]

Buddy of mine took a B&C buck, over 16" in the same area where I have popped three 12.5" - 13" bucks. He was bowhunting, north of Gillette. Set up his blind where the big buck habitually crossed under a fence to get to water. I think he spent about three mornings in that blind before getting his shot.

5. NRF

NRF Member

I just don’t know anything about Wyoming, I’ve just started research and my friend and I aren’t sure if we are going yet. But research is what I do. I’m from Nebraska and hunt antelope here my average I see and harvest is 73 inches. I really want a shot at a booner. What are Wyoming’s top units and max point units I hear conflicting things from all of the big time magazines so I’m asking real life experiences and knowledge.
    Thank you

6. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

7. armbar

armbar New Member

I just got back from hunting unit 96 in WY. I think my buddy and and I each had 8 points going into the draw in 2018. There are 5 NR tags and 50 total tags. The unit is about 160 square miles. He shot one the first day and I shot one the second. We both had time constraints. There were a bunch of animals in the unit with great access. We stayed in a hotel in Rock Springs with a restaurant and bar on the property. I would love to draw that unit again but it takes about 8 points. I believe if we had more time, a really good one will present itself.
    Best of luck.

Attached Files:

MNbogboy likes this.
  8. Wyofax

Wyofax Well-Known Member

The difference between a 78” antelope and an 80” is pretty minute when a hunter with limited experience is studying a Buck. I would be happy to point you in the right direction with an outfitter that has a great track record. Wyoming has so many options on good units that getting the right tag in a good horn growth year makes all the difference. Then being about to pick out the stud buck of the 300 you look over is the challenging part.

9. NRF

NRF Member

Please let me know if there are any great outfitters out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. From what I've seen most Wyoming outfitters hunt public ground, but the reason they could be more successful is because they are local and locate the top areas. I'll take any advice that anyone has as far as where to start, which units are best with 8 points, etc. I'd prefer DIY, I've have been antelope hunting in Nebraska for 10 years and have know how to judge fairly good although like you stated, it is tough to judge within a couple inches on an antelope.

10. Wyofax

Wyofax Well-Known Member

Almost any area west and south of casper or areas around Rawlins in any direction are the units I have experience with Big antelope.

11. Triple BB

Triple BB Well-Known Member

57 is where I’d be looking. One of the top area’s in the state. Consistently produces B&C bucks. 61 is also a top producer.

12. Doublezranch

Doublezranch Well-Known Member

Me and the Z’s favorite hunt is our antelope hunt. They are so beautiful and at times really wear you out. We have hunted several units all over Wyoming and I know the Z’s would agree, we have seen 2 or more B&C goats in all the units we have hunted. I really don’t think you need a guide. Just a unit that has land to access, a great pair of comfortable boots, Clean binoculars, and a gun that shoots straight.