WY Rules on rifles in vehicles

Altiman94

All:

I've searched high and low on the G & F website for WY. I cannot find anywhere the state's laws on uncased and/or loaded firearms in a truck. Since antelope is largely done from glassing in the truck...I'd like to know.

Here in IA I have a CCW permit, so I can have a loaded and/or uncased firearm in my vehicle without issue. We don't have much of a rifle season, but it comes in handy for many during shotgun or while hunting coyotes.

Before I get myself into trouble for not knowing...I'd rather ask the group here what the actual laws are.

No rounds would be in the chamber, but it's easier to have the rifle uncased and the mag loaded.

Thanks

This was copied and pasted from the 2011 Black Bear Hunting Brochure, but the same paragraph also appears in my 2011 Antelope Brochure.

Dave

 Firearms; automatic weapon or silencer prohibited.**
No person shall take into or possess in the game fields
or forests of Wyoming any fully automatic weapon or
device designed to silence or muffle the report of any
firearm. Wyoming has no restrictive laws concerning
firearms that may be legally possessed under the laws
of one's home state. Firearms may be carried uncased
in vehicles,* *although safety dictates that all firearms in
a vehicle should be unloaded with action open.

http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/Regulations_Ch3_Brochure.pdf

you can have anything in your vehicle that you can legally own. loaded , unloaded cased or uncased, you can conceal it or carry it openly it does not matter, there are restrictions on what you can and can not hunt with and that is in your hunting regulation but basically for rifles anything center fire over 23 caliber and any handgun that produces 500 ft/lbs at 100 yards, no silencers or fully automatic and must shoot expanding tip bullets (no fmj)

For what it's worth, I always slip my rifle into a soft case when I get back in the truck, it doesn't take long and protects the gun from bumps and the ever present dust.

Bob

I know of no law that specifically states: Firearms must be unloaded when in a vehicle.

However, under Prohibited Acts. It is Illegal to: Carry a firearm with a cartridge therein.................?? (This is also in the hunting regulations!!)
Now tell me, how is it possible to hunt/shoot a game animal with an unloaded gun? Some of these laws are very unclear and unfortunately that leaves them open to interpretation, the hunters interpretation vs the game wardens interpretation vs the courts interpretation, ect.

Example: Firearms may be carried uncased
in vehicles,* *although safety dictates that all firearms in
a vehicle should be unloaded with action open.

They dont say it's illegal or prohibited, but does this mean they can cite you for commiting an unsafe act with a firearm??....Laws should not be vague and open to interpretation.

FWIW, my guns are always loaded (at very least the magazine) and everytime I've been aproached by LE, they've never cited me for having a loaded gun. Although they often ask if the gun is loaded........I often reply "yes, it wouldn't be much good if it wasn't." I did get cited once for having a concealed handgun in my vehicle, but the ticket was dropped if I applied for a Concealed Firearm Permit.......which I did, and now have.

The Wyoming Concealed Firearm Statutes say nothing anywhere about loaded or unloaded firearms, in vehicles or otherwise. It does state that "A person who wears or carries a concealed deadly weapon is guilty of a misdemeanor"....on and on so forth, unless permitted, ect..........it says nothing about transport or guns in vehicles.

Typically and historically, Wyoming law is Pro Freedom. What I mean is; Unless there is a specific law or statement proclaiming something as illegal, then it is not considered illegal...................There is in fact a State Statute that says this. However, lately there appear to be those in power attempting to "read things into the laws", and thereby making things illegal that otherwise wouldn't be.

Another law that is vague in the G&F rules is spotlighting bobcats and badgers. They are in fact predators and spotlighting predators is allowed on private land with landowners written permission. However, some game wardens consider them furbearers (because they are also classified a furbearing animal), and therefore not included in the predator standard when it comes to hunting with artificial light.??

I have intentions of bringing these questions up to the Game and Fish at the next legislative meeting. If you can think of anything else that needs to be addressed, please post it here.

SBruce is correct about interpretation. While I've had nothing, but good interactions with the Wyoming F&G folks, here in Washington a few years back, after having a case tossed, the F&G spokesperson responded "We don't care about the law we're going to keep writing tickets, cause most folks will just pay them'. Speed trap mentality!
Trying to get a "feel" for what the individual agents take on things can be difficult. I called once when we were coming to hunt antelope, to ask, as we like to scout other areas, when we're done can we coyote hunt, when we tag out? Also don't like leaving our guns unattended. Never quite got an answer, as to whether we would get a ticket, it was all how the agent involved was going to interpret the situation. A pure "varmint" rifle would likely be viewed more positively than our 338's.

......, you can conceal it or carry it openly it does not matter.....

I want to say the concealed carry law only applies to residents. Non residents can carry concealed if they have a valid permit.

As for loaded in the truck, go for it. When I am running the desert/coyote hunting I have my AR15 (short rifle) ready to roll wedged between the seats muzzle down.

Last winter a high school girl ran into the back of my truck infront of my house, when the officer got here I told him I have a Michigan concealed weapons permint, he asked if I had a gun on me, I didnt but told him there were several loaded in the truck. His response was "Son this is Wyoming everyone has a gun in thier truck and next time I see you, you better have your pistol on you or your getting a ticket"

Just dont shoot from the truck, leave beer bottles everywhere, or cross country to much and you will be fine.

Title 6 - Chapter 8 of Wyoming Statutes contains the statutes on weapons violations. The new concealed carry laws pertain to firearms carried on your person, not in your vehicle.

"Carry a firearm with a cartridge therein.................??" I wish you would have finished the sentence. It is illegal to carry a firearm with a cartridge therein or take any wildlife while intoxicated or under the influence of any controlled substance.

FWIW, I had a discussion with one of the local wardens about this very topic. I was explaining to him that many of the nonresident hunters that I guide are very surprised by being allowed to stuff a couple of rounds in the magazine and carry the rifle uncased. He told me he feels it is safer to carry the gun uncased with an empty chamber with rounds in the magazine than to carry it cased and unloaded. He explained he had reached that conclusion by watching the "Chinese fire drill" and poor muzzle control that ensues when folks are driving down the road and suddenly that trophy of a life time appears.

Title 6 - Chapter 8 of Wyoming Statutes contains the statutes on weapons violations. The new concealed carry laws pertain to firearms carried on your person, not in your vehicle.

"Carry a firearm with a cartridge therein.................??" I wish you would have finished the sentence. It is illegal to carry a firearm with a cartridge therein or take any wildlife while intoxicated or under the influence of any controlled substance.

FWIW, I had a discussion with one of the local wardens about this very topic. I was explaining to him that many of the nonresident hunters that I guide are very surprised by being allowed to stuff a couple of rounds in the magazine and carry the rifle uncased. He told me he feels it is safer to carry the gun uncased with an empty chamber with rounds in the magazine than to carry it cased and unloaded. He explained he had reached that conclusion by watching the "Chinese fire drill" and poor muzzle control that ensues when folks are driving down the road and suddenly that trophy of a life time appears.

AHAAAAH, That makes a lot more sense if we read it "while intoxicated"............ The first "or" threw me off when I read it.

I always believed that the concealed weapon statutes only applied to personal carry, and didn't include vehicles. 20 years ago, the local sheriffs and police felt that way too. Unfortunately, someone somewhere started interpreting it to mean "within arms reach" and therefore supposedly inside the vehicle applied. That's how I got cited for it.

It may be a moot point now, because the new law allows concealed carry without a permit, and supposedly Concealed Permits are still valid and still issued for those who travel across state lines and want to retain that right with states that have reciprocity. I am not aware if the new law applies only to residents or not. I need to read that since it's changed.

I just finished reading the new Statute pertaining to concealed weapons.

It in fact has been changed since I last renewed my CFP just a couple years ago.

This is my interpretation.

Paragraph (a) subsection (iv) has been added.

Pargraph (b) Subsection (v) has been modified.

Paragraph (b) Subsection (vii) no longer is a requirement to carry a concealed weapon legally without a CFP. In addition, concealed firearms carriers (so long as they meet the below criteria) are no longer required to submit the fee, fingerprints, multiple background checks, and waiting period to be legal with a concealed weapon.

Here is the first portion of the Statute as of today, copied and pasted. Changes that I recognized are highlighted. There may be other subtle changes, but these stood out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6‑8‑104.Wearing or carrying concealed weapons; penalties; exceptions; permits.

(a) A person who wears or carries a concealed deadly weapon is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six (6) months, or both for a first offense, or a felony punishable by a fine of not more than two thousand dollars ($2,000.00), imprisonment for not more than two (2) years, or both, for a second or subsequent offense, unless:

(i) The person is a peace officer;

(ii) The person possesses a permit under this section;

(iii) The person holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit; or

(iv) The person does not possess a permit issued under this section, but otherwise meets the requirements specified in paragraphs (b)(i) through (vi), (viii) and (ix) of this section and possession of the firearm by the person is not otherwise unlawful.

(b) The attorney general is authorized to issue permits to carry a concealed firearm to persons qualified as provided by this subsection. The attorney general shall promulgate rules necessary to carry out this section no later than October 1, 1994. Applications for a permit to carry a concealed firearm shall be made available and distributed by the division of criminal investigation and local law enforcement agencies. The permit shall be valid throughout the state for a period of five (5) years from the date of issuance. The permittee shall carry the permit, together with valid identification at all times when the permittee is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display both the permit and proper identification upon request of any peace officer. The attorney general through the division shall issue a permit to any person who:

(i) Is a resident of the United States and has been a resident of Wyoming for not less than six (6) months prior to filing the application. The Wyoming residency requirements of this paragraph do not apply to any person who holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit;

(ii) Is at least twenty-one (21) years of age;

(iii) Does not suffer from a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a firearm;

(iv) Is not ineligible to possess a firearm pursuant to 18 U.S.C. section 922(g) or W.S. 6-8-102;

(v) Has not been:

(A) Committed to a state or federal facility for the abuse of a controlled substance, within the one (1) year period prior to the date on which application for a permit under this section is submitted;

(B) Convicted of a felony violation of the Wyoming Controlled Substances Act of 1971, W.S. 35‑7‑1001 through 35-7-1057 or similar laws of any other state or the United States relating to controlled substances and has not been pardoned; or

(C) Convicted of a misdemeanor violation of the Wyoming Controlled Substances Act of 1971, W.S. 35‑7‑1001 through 35‑7‑1057 or similar laws of any other state or the United States relating to controlled substances within the one (1) year period prior to the date on which application for a permit under this section is submitted.

(vi) Does not chronically or habitually use alcoholic liquor and malt beverages to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired. It shall be presumed that an applicant chronically and habitually uses alcoholic beverages to the extent that his normal faculties are impaired if the applicant has been involuntarily committed, within the one (1) year period prior to the date on which application for a permit under this section is submitted, to any residential facility pursuant to the laws of this state or similar laws of any other state as a result of the use of alcohol;

(vii) Demonstrates familiarity with a firearm. A legible photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes or a notarized affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation of firearms competition, shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph. Any one (1) of the following activities listed in this paragraph shall be sufficient to demonstrate familiarity with a firearm:

(A) Completion of any certified firearm safety or training course utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Wyoming law enforcement academy;

(B) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division of law enforcement or security enforcement;

(C) Experience with a firearm through participation in an organized handgun shooting competition or military service;

(D) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

(E) Be certified as proficient in firearms safety by any Wyoming law enforcement agency under procedures established by that agency; or

(F) Honorable retirement as a federal or state peace officer who has a minimum of ten (10) years of service.

(viii) Is not currently adjudicated to be legally incompetent; and

(ix) Has not been committed to a mental institution.

I cannot comment on WY regulations, but here in AZ we have a similar law. This law has less to do with CCW and more to do with whether or not you are hunting from your vehicle. In AZ, it is illegal to hunt from or shoot across any "maintained" road. AZGFD has determined that if your weapon is loaded and within your reach while you possess a valid license or tag for the area you are in, then you may be in violation of this reg. The final decision is made by the game warden on scene. Perhaps WY is the same. More to do with road hunting? Just a thought.

(vii) Demonstrates familiarity with a firearm. A legible photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes or a notarized affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation of firearms competition, shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph. Any one (1) of the following activities listed in this paragraph shall be sufficient to demonstrate familiarity with a firearm:

(A) Completion of any certified firearm safety or training course utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Wyoming law enforcement academy;

(B) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division of law enforcement or security enforcement;

(C) Experience with a firearm through participation in an organized handgun shooting competition or military service;

(D) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

(E) Be certified as proficient in firearms safety by any Wyoming law enforcement agency under procedures established by that agency; or

(F) Honorable retirement as a federal or state peace officer who has a minimum of ten (10) years of service.

Good info!! I did not realize this stipulation "You have to have a cirtification of some kind" I didnt have to have a hunters safty cirtificate in Minnesota to hunt and Wyoming also does not require me to have one(born before 1966) BUT now it appear like a good idea to get cirtified.

To my understanding Wyoming is close to AZ as far as shooting from a vehicle or road= Thats why its important to keep the chamber empty while in a vehicle or roadway!
Another point that usualy gets overlooked is that you can not use any part of the vehicle as a rest for big game. You are allowed to use the vehicle for a rest for coyotes but prairire dogs and ground squirrels are not allowed??? The couple of game wrdens that have caught me shootin prairie dogs off the hood have just comented on it but not cited.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.