WTH is with these scope prices??

well sideflip you can keep spendin 4000 on your scope so your pride can be bloated enough to hold your nose high. i for one will keep shooting with these down trodden scopes and continue to hold 1/4 moa at 1100 just like monday!gun) the ground squirrel that died at that range dont know the difference!gun):D

well sideflip you can keep spendin 4000 on your scope so your pride can be bloated enough to hold your nose high. i for one will keep shooting with these down trodden scopes and continue to hold 1/4 moa at 1100 just like monday!gun) the ground squirrel that died at that range dont know the difference!gun):D

I don't particularly like squirrels, they remind me of rats with fuzzy tails......

I don't recall ever saying I have a 4 grand scope I don't even own a 4 grand firearm. I've paid a grand for a scope before but it hurt. Think I paid 1500 for a rifle, yep, my match target eifle was 1500 or so.

I like to think I research every firearm related purchase prior to purchase, so, no, no 4 grand optics here. Firearms are for enjoyment only.

Machine tools are another story. I make money with machine tools so spending on them has no upper limit other than cost versus profitability.

Now if someone gave me a 4 grand scope............:)

I'm just curious where people here get their money. If anyone here has a $300k/year a job for me, PM me. (I am willing to travel) :)

I believe only Len Bakus (forum owner) has a 300K per year job, but he's not telling anyone.....:)

I own a machine and fabrication shop myself but I work as a consultant part time for gun money.....:D Since I got the .338 I'm working more. It's an expensive caliber........

I'd like to make 300K but thats a fantasy.

I took my nephew out Sunday afternoon for his first p-dog hunt. He had just picked up a Howa in 22-250 with a Simmons 6-24X50 on it. We got to the field and set up. I asked to look through his scope and he said it needs cleaning. I had to agree. Thankfully I had been a boyscout and pulled out my lens cleaning gear and went to work. Was it the clearest thing I had ever seen? No. But we were taking shots out to 465 yards and I must say in the good breeze we had, we live in western Oklahoma for most translate that to wind, we were skipping mighty close when not connecting. And when I looked through his less expensive scope even with my bifocal glasses and my nearing 50 year old eyes I could see just fine. Now we did not do a box test yet on his reticle adjustments but we will have fun doing that. Anyway like most guys say spend what you can afford, not finance, and then go have fun.:)

That's what happens when the Gov't dumps TRILLIONS of dollars into the economy. It's the first lesson they teach you ECON 101. The currency becomes worthless.

It's not just scopes, everything is going to go up in price DRAMATICALLY.

You are absolutely right, I farm no more than I can afford to lose, last year I needed a rear tire-18.4x38. The last time I bought one, it cost @ $400 for a new one, last summer they were running @ $800, now they are around $1100!! This is what happens when morons run the show. Our country is screwed if we don't wake up, it may be too late now, looking like Greece everyday.lightbulb

I'm just curious where people here get their money. If anyone here has a $300k/year a job for me, PM me. (I am willing to travel) :)

When you get that job, let me know. I will be glad to take a much lesser job at $150k/year!! I might be able to afford the new Tasco with that job and continue dreaming about the Bushnell.

You are absolutely right, I farm no more than I can afford to lose, last year I needed a rear tire-18.4x38. The last time I bought one, it cost @ $400 for a new one, last summer they were running @ $800, now they are around $1100!! This is what happens when morons run the show. Our country is screwed if we don't wake up, it may be too late now, looking like Greece everyday.lightbulb
There is a simple solution: everyone cease using the services of an attorney. They, and politicians being former and future attorneys, would quickly disappear. Wouldn't that be great?

I have 2 Nikon Monarch scopes. 3-12x42SF and 4-16-50SF. The most expensive was about $430 if I remember. Nikon have started offering custom turrets for less that $100 ea. The repeatability of my turrets has been excellent. It is unfortunate that the 223 version scopes stop at the 3-12x42, since their turrets are target style and don't have covers to begin with.

Having said all that, I am currently shooting to 350 yards, which is long range for michigan. It is only safe because of the terrain on the farm, usually in most of MI and OH it is flat as a pancake so having a backstop can be an issue. I would personally need a different rest to reliably shoot longer than 350 yards and prone is basically out of the question because of all the vegetation (and clay mud) at ground level.

Does anyone have any proven ideas for an accurate rest system which allows for shooting in near any direction ?

I have a S&B klassic scope 3X12X42 with a 7A recticle. I didn't realise that with a first focal scope the cross hairs got fatter as you went up in power. No one around me inventoried S&B scopes so I wasn't able to look at one before I bought one. But reading the reviews and all the forums said that this is a great scope. From day one I really didn't like the idea of having fat cross hairs and them getting larger. When I shoot at paper the cross hairs block most of the bullseye. I called S&B last week and talked to a head service manager and he said that they could switch out the recitle an go to a sightly thinner one but at a cost of $550 bucks. I told the guy hey look I can buy a Zeiss conquest brand new for cheaper than that. They figure I guess if you got the money to spend on their scope you can throw money away. I know its not the same but my cousin sent in a old Redfield widefield to have the recticle changed an it was only 80 dollars. I'm not rich. I bought their scope because I wanted a great scope that at this time in my life would probably last the rest of my life and felt I deserved it because I worked and saved all my life. I even asked him why the Summit went up 400 dollars than when it w first out and he could only say it was an intro offer. By the way my S&B is for sale in the optics for sale section.

I didn't realise that with a first focal scope the cross hairs got fatter as you went up in power. No one around me inventoried S&B scopes so I wasn't able to look at one before I bought one. But reading the reviews and all the forums said that this is a great scope. From day one I really didn't like the idea of having fat cross hairs and them getting larger. When I shoot at paper the cross hairs block most of the bullseye. .

I feel your pain. I have stated the same dislike many tme in an effort to warn new byers of this very issue with some FFP scopes. I hate them too. But ya better be careful cuz some of the FFP lovers on here will tell ya you dont know what you are talking about.:rolleyes:

Jeff

Euro down should mean cheaper European Scopes!?!?

Talk since the Greece monetary crisis hit has been that the Euro is down, way down on world markets. If that's true, European scopes should be coming down in price. Anyone heard ANYTHING about price drops on Swarovski, Kahles, & Zeiss?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.