• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB: Elk rifle for 17yo daughter

These are my initial considerations:

1) Browning X-bolt in 6.8 Western, 20" bbl swapped into custom stock from Boyd's.

2) Ruger American in .308 Win, 20" bbl, same stock option as above.

3) Rem 700 SPS in .308 or 7mm-08, wouldn't need the custom stock.

4) Buy her nothing and let her hunt my 6.5-300 Mark V Bee. I did tell her if she drew this year I'd buy her a rifle…so she may frown on this one even though she loves to shoot it. 😂

5) [NEW #1] Savage 110 Ultralight in 6.5PRC, with Accufit stock.

All setups would be suppressed.

Last edited:
I take my elk every year with a 260 Rem I load with one of the copper mono bullets. Never failed me. The particular rifle I use is a Savage stainless in 260 Rem. Reasonable recoil , & deadly accurate. In my younger years I used a heavy mag. cal. No more . The 260 gets the job done. One shot kill performance.

My daughters were a bit rough on the rifles they packed around. I started with the idea of letting them use my 308 Ruger Gunsite Scout. Bad idea, laminated stock got scratched Day 1 before noon. Then I purchased a Mossburg 243 and it grouped so bad enough that I couldn't stand to shoot it. Finally settled on a Ruger Predator in 308 18" barrel and another Predator in 243. Picked both up used for $300 each. Both shoot well under 1 MOA and the 308 will nearly stack them in the same hole. I can load down the 308 for range shooting and step it back up for hunting. I thought I had it all figured and then they both insisted on hunting with my wife's Browning X bolt stalker 270 WSM. They are both convinced it doesn't kick because my wife shoots it. I just set my mom up with a Savage Ultralight with Accustock in 6.5CM. Hard to beat the Accustock with adjustable LOP and adjustable comb. I like the 308 for elk if recoil is an issue. You can get close to factory 30-06 performance with hand loads for hunting and then back it down for range practice. I figured any longer distance shots would allow plenty of time to set them up behind my 300WM or 338 Edge.

This 👇🏽

My daughters were a bit rough on the rifles they packed around. I started with the idea of letting them use my 308 Ruger Gunsite Scout. Bad idea, laminated stock got scratched Day 1 before noon. Then I purchased a Mossburg 243 and it grouped so bad enough that I couldn't stand to shoot it. Finally settled on a Ruger Predator in 308 18" barrel and another Predator in 243. Picked both up used for $300 each. Both shoot well under 1 MOA and the 308 will nearly stack them in the same hole. I can load down the 308 for range shooting and step it back up for hunting. I thought I had it all figured and then they both insisted on hunting with my wife's Browning X bolt stalker 270 WSM. They are both convinced it doesn't kick because my wife shoots it. I just set my mom up with a Savage Ultralight with Accustock in 6.5CM. Hard to beat the Accustock with adjustable LOP and adjustable comb. I like the 308 for elk if recoil is an issue. You can get close to factory 30-06 performance with hand loads for hunting and then back it down for range practice. I figured any longer distance shots would allow plenty of time to set them up behind my 300WM or 338 Edge.
I really appreciate your input. That's not the first time I've been told to consider the Savage Ultralight. I'm leaning pretty hard in that direction. She shoots my 6.5-300 Bee (suppressor) and 6.5CM without issue. I'm strongly considering the Ultralight in 6.5PRC. Very manageable recoil with a suppressor (significantly less than the Bee), with a little more punch than the CM.

The Savage seems to allow you to put funds into the gun and optics rather than a shorter pull stock. The stock can be reconfigured for another person in 15mins. I did the ultralight because the weight at the forearm was an issue for my mom at 72. I think a shorter barrel also helps for a smaller frame person. The 6.5prc sounds better than the 6.5cm for elk. I still like the 308 for elk under 300yds.