• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB short action lightweight elk rifle

bbraden

Seems like most of my elk hunts are mostly about carrying a rifle and less about shooting the rifle! With that in mind I'm wanting to go lighter/easier to carry. Colorado makes you unload your magazine to get on an ATV so I want something with detachable bottom metal. Flush, preferably.

It needs to be shorter than 43" overall length and lighter than 6.5 lbs without scope/rings/bases. Willing to go as small as .308 Win but would do a short mag in 7MM, .300 or bigger. Wanting to stay away from long actions to save on overall length. Factory built, or custom, doesn't matter much to me so long as it fits the criteria and is accurate enough to hit an elk within 400 yards. Thanks!

I'm out of town this week, but once I get back I'm planning on selling a Kimber Montana 8400 in 325 WSM. (It would meet your criteria except for the DBM) hoping to sell as a package with scope, rings, accubonds, nosler brass, dies, etc.... if you're interested, let me know. Thanks.

I have a Christensen Arms 300 WSM carbon wrapped barrel. It has BDL stile magazine. That would work great for that. I originally bought it to elk hunt with, but have not been able to go. I have not done load development with it, just sighted it in with load from my heavy gun. Shot under MOA at 200 yards so I left it at that. it has less than 50 rounds through it. $2,200 plus shipping. if you are interested.

Might not meet all the specs, but:

Steyr Classic in 270 WSM

Rem Model 7 KS in 350 Rem Mag

Sako Hunter in 338 Federal

I have mentioned it before that I built a lightweight rifle in 338 RCM that Is a perfect candidate
for what you want. Short action, Detachable Mag, rifle weighs less than 7 pounds fully dressed,
Pushes the 200 grain 338 bullets just over 2900 ft/sec. with a 22" barrel.

Look at the ballistics and you will be impressed. It is very close to the 325 WSM but has a better bullet selection.

Just My recommendation

J E CUSTOM

Forgot another, a Remington Custom Shop KS Mountain Rifle in 300 RUM done by Answer Products and accurized by Hill Country Rifles.

Tika T3 in a .300 WSM will do the job for you. Bit of recoil, but thats the price for light weight. My shoots 1/2 MOA Bruce

Yes, I have one in 338 WM in the TAC stock...great rifles for not much $$$.

Recent Posts