WTB 6.5 barrel for 264 win mag help

Joeypman

Looking to get a new barrel for my 264 win mag on a Remington action. Thoughts and knowledge appreciated will be shooting 120gr ttsx bullets live in ca so my only option. Have had good results with these bullets in old barrel just wanting to get something new need advice on twist length brand etc will be sending barrel and action to gunsmith for fitting and what not... thanks for the replies

A 9 twist will shoot those bullets well but so will a 8 twist. If you are ever going to shoot other longer bullets than the 120 ttsx I would get an 8 twist. With the 264 Win mag the longer the barrel the better. Shortest should be 26". I have a 9 twist Shilen #4 that the smith left me 27 3/4" of barrel out of a 28" blank. It is a screamer. It does 3350 fps with 130 gr Accubonds with 66.5 grs Retumbo and outstanding accuracy and really good case life. Kills deer like lightening struck them.

I'd get a Krieger #4 contour or a Bartlein #3 contour with an 8 inch twist.

I would go at least the weight of a #4 Shilen couture because thinner barrels really get too flexible at longer length and your accuracy goes out the window.

Is the weight close on the shilen #4 and bartlien #3 my buddy has said good things about his bartlien

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.