WRONG GUNS GUYS...be a hunter pls

why do you guys use rifles like 300RUM 338LM and so on. for normal deer at shortish ranges like 300-400-500 yards? you dont need to use that much gun powder. l always try and put a hole in the animal-but it looks like you dudes are trying to drill a hole in the mountanin aswell as the animal. and go to the pub and talk about it '' l shot a deer today from 350 yards and my bullet whent 2 meters in to the side of the mountain after exiting the deer. and the other guy sais- ohh whell thats nothing l shot a deer from 200 yards the bullet first whent through 5 pine trees then killing the animal and l found the bullet 10 feet inside the mountain. you wanna advice. use 30-06 308 7mm-08 and so on and for extender ranges for deer go with a 7mm rem mag or a 300 wm. you dont need bigger rounds. remember you shoot beter with less recoıl.:) and the 270 ofcourse. if you gonna kill big big game than ok 300rum is allright.

progress.gif

Lets see, your from turkey on an american based hunting site made up mostly by americans. Here in america you have much more freedom to do as you please. People thought I was crazy when I had a $3200 sporting clays shotgun and a $1500 honda civic! If a guy or gal wants a ford f450 to get groceries in LA then so be it. I don't agree with how other people do things all the time even on here but because I don't think they should tell me what I should do that's why I don't blast them. If you were asking an honest question so you could be informed then that would have been fine. But since you were all condescending and "I know best" your getting it handed to you. Come to america and find out before you start acting like you know.

Not me, but I know Tikkamike shoots big guns to compensate for other issues. He also has his truck lifted with 44" tires on it. Myself I drive a Geo metro and shoot 22 calibers..
I just spewed coffee on my keyboard on that one! I'm a big fan of Mike's posts and I have to say, Mike, you took that well.
Still snickering.
Chuck J

I believe in people using what they like. I will offer advice, give my personal choices, but at the end of the day if a guy wants to shoot rabbits with a 416Rigby and 400lbs pigs with a 22WMR, that's fine with me as long as it's legal. Your choices my not be in line with mine, but I'll shake your hand and say go get'em.

This is my scenario, last 2 seasons I missed large 75'' type speed goats on wind calls w/257.My large 300 berger has much less wind drift, dead goat and it was smaller than the others. I watched a bull feed @ 840, by time I set up shot was gone, so I hiked up and bam, bull taking a 300 pill @ 50 yrds. I prepare for long range, but have killed many critters on way up or down the mountain

I understand why most of the guys here hunt with these huge ultra super duper ginormous magnarifles. They lift weights, talk like swartzeneger, run triathlons with 120lbs packs and shoot critters in the mountains of colorado and wyoming from their porch in virginia. Oh, and because they are trying to make up for the fact that they don't have a 6.5-284 or a 6.5x55. Thats all it is, and its ok. Nobody is perfect. We have found a site where they can freely talk about their insecurity. Me, I shoot 6.5mm rifles, this way I know, if I can see it, I have just the right rifle.

Now that that is out of the way, If I build a custom rifle it will be a 460 weatherby magnum! Why?? Because I want to load 300 grain remington hollow points at 3300 fps and shoot a deer at 100 yards and watch it pop like a prairie dog!!! Death should be instant so I believe "humane" is covered. On another note, I have traveled a through some mountains in Turkey, and I cannot imagine why you would not want a ginormous super duper ultra long range extreme magnum. You could shoot whatever type of horned animal it is you have there from your porch to wherever it happened to be as well! And if I could swing a custom rifle, I would probably have a 338 Edge to match that 460! I wanna shoot elk from my bedroom window too!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.