Wrong Ammo

Tried over and over to chamber a .38 Super in one of my 9 mm's. Finally checked head stamp. Must have picked it up off floor at one of our IPSC practice nights thinking it was one of mine.

You can't chamber a .308 in a 6.5 Creedmoor. The more than one box of ammo on bench mistake.

A fellow Boy Scout didn't put bolt handle all the way down on my .22 and the bolt flew back and blew the bottom of magazine out. He was okay but a .22 has quite a bit of power!

I've been lucky in 62 years....so far.

Dave

I have never had a mishap of this nature.
BUT I have deliberately loaded a 300WM in a 300 Weatherby rifle to see what happens...no string attached to the trigger either, I shouldered the rifle and fired it, recoil was a little less, brass looked amusing.
Tried the same with my 340 Weatherby barrel and a 338WM. It fired too, brass was like a 458WM.
Being a range officer for more than 20 years, I have seen all sorts. 243's fired in 6mm Rems. 270 fired in 30-06.
I even had a guy that managed to fire an 8mm Mauser in a 30-06, that made a huge mess and his arm got a piece of steel from the front ring embedded in his arm.
Saw a Winchester push feed in 243 self destruct for no apparent reason. All the loads checked out and it had had 32 rounds fired in it from the same batch, number 33 dismantled the mag well, the action split behind receiver ring, the scope was in 2 bits and the stock was splintered shrapnel. No one knows what caused it, the loads were with H4350, so should've been fine.
We had a guy in the rifle club that would often do stupid stuff. He had identical rifles, all RUGER M77 MK II, in 25-06, 270, 30-06 and 300WM. He would grab the 25-06 or 270 ammo and fire it in the 30-06, or try to fire 30-06 in his 300WM. He was a complete muppet when it came to safety as well, would turn around and point the rifle at spectators, or clear his pistol but have a round in the chamber and drop the hammer on it...just stupid. We eventually kicked him out.

Cheers.

Around 2003 was working at a Sportsman's Warehouse. A customer stuck to his story that seeing as how he had sold his 7mm Rem mag it was okay for him to burn up the remaining 100 or so rounds by shooting them in his .338 Win mag. Claimed he was able to kill big game out to a hundred yards.

My repeated responses of.....

"Are you sure that's a good idea?"
"Don't you know someone you could sell that ammo to and buy the right stuff?"
etc.

.....seemed to infuriate him.

Yep

cantfix.gif

About 10 years ago, as a Springfield Armory rep, I had Rob Leatham do a demo at an indoor range.
Had a big crowd watching him do his thing when one of his guns quit running. Robby gave me a wink, ejected a 9mm round out of his XD .40 S&W and kept right on shooting. Of course I had been loading all of his mags. I wanted to crawl under a rock. Fortunately he was so fast no one really even noticed. Not a good thing to do to the G.O.A.T.

When I'm at the range with multiple guns only one gun and it's ammo come out at a time. When I'm done with that one it and ammo are removed from the bench. So far so good. When I was in high school, many many years ago, a friend and I were squirrel hunting. He was backing up but looking at the squirrel. When he tripped over a log the gun went off in the air and they both fell in the snow. He reloaded the single shot .410, and on his next shot the gun boomed strangely and we heard something wacking through the trees and something went whistling past me. There was a 4"x1/2 inch piece of barrel folded back and the rest had been blown off. Has to be snow in the barrel from the fall.

Back in the late '70's I was working in the gun shop and an customer came in and asked for a box of Carbine. sold him a box of 50 .30 Carbine ammo.
Next day he came in and complained that it broke his gun!! He showed me the gun and it was a Colt AR15 CARBINE. the bolt was stuck closed. I took the gun and after he left I went and after about managed to get the gun apart. then another hour got the bolt out along with the for named .30 carbine case. The bullet exited the gun with no Immediate damage apparent to the gun. Took a set of GO, NO GO, and FIELD gauges. Everything passed as what should.

Then took the gun to the indoor range we had, for testing, and loaded 1 round, fired it and it worked and miked out fine. then tried 3 rounds and it worked perfect.

over the years I lost the case, really interesting to see how it filled out/blew out.

Notice this was one of the listing in the Hornady list of "DO NOT CONFUSE" it fits as the nose of the .30 carbine matches perfectly to the taper in the neck of the 223.

One lucky guy and convinced me of the strength of the AR action.

The old 2 powders on bench... I have a 1 lb'er that I collect powder from past mistakes or even from pulled rounds that I didn't want to use the powder from. Not full thank goodness but it started when I had 2 powders on bench and placed wrong powder into wrong container. No way would I shoot a "blended" powder so I started to use it as a collection container.. Original powder covered up with tape and called "GARBAGE CAN"! I leave it on shelf in prominent location to see and nice reminder not to be distracted.

Will fertilize something someday with it.
I had a friend do the exact same thing he asked me if the powder was any good now I told him no way I would use it he gave it to me it has since become fertilizer

A customer came up to the counter and asked about ammunition for his '300'.
I waited a moment for the rest of the sentence - there was none.

When I asked which 300 he owned the response was a mildly irritated 'I told you - 300'.
I won't bother quoting the rest of the conversation - it went downhill in a hurry. He got loud and very annoyed, I'm guessing cuz he was mad at himself for not knowing, plus other customers can hear the whole thing.

At the end I asked how far away he lived (5 minutes) and if he could please bring in the rifle - but it was too late for that, he was too upset. I politely declined to sell him any at all.

Different customer came in with a custom bolt rifle that was misfiring. Barrel was plainly stamped 308. Took it to the indoor range and chambered a 308 Winchester round with the bolt closing very easily. Thinking there should be maybe a little bit of effort to cam the bolt down, for whatever reason I held it close to my ear and shook it.

It rattled.

It took a magnifying glass, a bright light and my reading glasses to see the very faint 'NM' stamped after the '308' - turned out it was a 308 Norma Magnum.

I am essentially a bolt gun shooter. However, I have several AR15's in 223 Wylde,6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendal and 224 Valk. I will say that I have fired tens of thousands of rounds in a 5.56,M4 due to my previous "job". I never really had to worry about putting in the wrong cartridge.
However my AR's that I have now are all recently purchased in the last three years. A recent discussion with a LRH member he suggested that I get an engraved dust cover to ensure I pick up the right gun for the right ammo. I received the dust covers about two weeks ago and I have to say it is really handy to be able to pick up an AR and know what cartridge it is intended for with just a quick glance.

Last edited:
loaded a 41 mag into a 44 mag lever action.
felt strange. ejected easily, cracked shell. no harm done. lucky day i guess...
SnT

I was the range safety officer for a local gun range. We had a gun show locally that day. Fellow came up and I saw him fussing and fuming try to load his 1911 45ACP. Walked over to see what the problem was. He had just bought 500 rounds of 45 Colt and the d---m things would not fit into the 1911 mags.
Pointed out the difference between 45 ACP and 45 Colt. I was sorry to remind him that the gun show had an no return policy on ammo.
I wished I had a 45 Colt so I could buy his ammo at a LARGE discount. LOL