Would the true 7mm please stand up!!!

Dave Schenck

What is the true 7mm cartridge? I shoot a .270 (actually 277 as we all know) and if you do the math conversion it comes to 7.03580mm and this in my mind is the true 7mm! The 270 is under rated by many but is one of the most popular calibers world wide and is often put down against a 7mm - it IS a 7mm! I cannot wait for berger to release a VLD in 277 - I watched their DVD again last night and cannot wait for the hunting season to start. I will take my "7mm" to the plains this winter and will not stand back for anything.

What prompted this posting?

A deep discussion at the bar! The debate rages on!

The 270 is a great cartridge, no doubt about it. If high BC bullets were readily available, I'd be shooting mine all the time. I will buy the new Berger VLD's in this caliber as soon as it they're out.

Dave, if you call Berger you can get them now. They are back ordered at many of the suppliers. I called Berger and received the 150 VLD's last week. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I'm going to load some Sat. Good luck.
Tim

Dave

You are right it is a 7mm in one sense of the word and so
is the 280 and the 284 just to name a few.

Back when these calibers were popular they were all giving names
that would fit into the american way of thinking.

And any time someone wanted to top the competition they raised
the numbers and it sounded more powerful so sales rose for a while.

A good example was the 280 Remingtion.It was introduced in 1957
and in an effort to boost sales in 1979 they changed the name of
the 280 to the 7mm Remingtion Express.

They used two names that were thought to sound like it was a better
round (MM's and Express)and boost sales.

Then came the trend to use the word MAGNUM with the name.

Probably the first tru 7mm was the 7x57 Mauser (some where around
1892).

The 270 Winchester came out around 1925 and has stood the test
of time even with a limited selection of bullets.some say that Winchester
decided on a .277 dia to avoid having anything like the Europeans had.

It is a great round and deserves a better selection of bullets.

Just a little history
J E CUSTOM

700, Could you let us know if you find a good load. I'm using a Rem 700, 270 WSM that I'll be trying to get about 3100 for velocity. I've had good luck with Ram Shot Mag and RL 22.
Tim

so what is the bc of the new bullets?????? and what is the highest bc out there for a 270 now????? i just got some 140 sst i hope they shot good.

Not to be argumentative but my conversion tables show
that 7.00mm = .2755in.

So a 270 is actualy slightly larger than 7mm.

If this is wrong I will stand corrected.

J E CUSTOM

700, Could you let us know if you find a good load. I'm using a Rem 700, 270 WSM that I'll be trying to get about 3100 for velocity. I've had good luck with Ram Shot Mag and RL 22.
Tim
Will do. I am going to try AA Magpro and Ramshot Magnum powder.

conversion

I think .277 actually converts to 7.03mmm (or something else as close to dammit as that). Maybe the mechanical engineers out there can be more accurate for us and explain!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts