7mm Terminal Performance Issues? True or False?

if you have any questions about a seven,check out buffalo bobs video in the antelope section awsome!!

Phorath, Story like yours, I am driving out next to a wilderness area, and there is a chopper in the highway. Turns out that a guy that I know rides in about 6 mile, takes off his riding gear, which includes a 44 mag. Hangs it on a tree and goes elk hunting. A kid of about 13 is back there and admires that piece, he shows it to him, unloaded and tells him, If ok with Dad you can shoot it later. hangs the 44 on tree , with wool coat over it and is off to the mountains. Long story short, kid finds 44 and some how puts a 240 grn. hard cast right threw eye socket. Survives, finishes high school, miracle to be around, guys home owners had to settle the case. In MT you are suppose to be with a parent at that age, and he was deep in griz country. I still dont know how you shot yourself threw head on accident.

i shoot a 300rum and a friend of mine shoots a .284.we went out this weekend gone and shot a few wild goats not to far out of town.most shots made were over 500 yards and both rifles did their job,and if an animal went for a wee trot after being hit,it was neither the calliber or the rifles fault.the rum definatly hits things a bit harder for what its worth,and this is obviously due to the fact that its shooting a heavier bullet at a simmillar pace.but my point is the .284 still kills things very efficiently.dead is dead.and i think you guys need to stop bickering and get back to basics.

As far as a 7-08 they work fine. Not something I would want but they work. I havnt ever lost a deer with one of them but they never exactly impress me. My buddies shoot them. The 7stw, hell on wheels. Just my opinion and people may hate me for it, first gun .243 with a 87gr. vmax works wonders. I know the vmax is a varmit bullet but the closing in on 20deer havn't. havnt had to track more than 10yrds on either mulies or whitetails

Guys,

Had an interesting conversation with a gent about terminal performance on big game with 7mm guns. He is convinced that there are issues with many of the hunting bullets in 7mm and maybe the caliber itself. I heard the typical story, 50 years of hunting experiences, hundreds of animals taken by him or his clients, and he thinks the 7mm does a worse job than the 6.5, 270, and .30 caliber offerings as far as putting down a critter quickly. I have seen a couple hits from friends guns that should have anchored an animal and didn't and they were 7mm. I have also read bits and pieces about this on chat forums as well.

Is there anything to this story? I know this is a tough question to answer as there are so many variables to consider but am interested in everyone's opinion. I am sure the magnum 7's will perform completely different than the standard offerings too so that will make a difference on things as well. Maybe a focus on the lower to middle end of the spectrum as far as power is concerned.

I am thinking about buying a 7mm-08 for my son's first gun due to the low recoil and excellent BC's of the 7mm but want to make sure that I am looking at every side of this before I buy it.

Interested to see the feedback.

Thanks in advance.
If you keep the range inside 400 yards a 7mm-08 and a 162 grain hornady amax bullet will kill anything that walks on 4 legs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.