Worst thing you have purchased for reloading

I don't like the Dandy trickler. I can never get that thing adjusted right. Either way too fast or way too slow. If it dispensing at a rate I like it only lasts for a case or two.

Most everything I use I like but then I thought of the one thing

Neck sizing dies. Did this for 2 years and then realized no one does it who is serious and switched back. Better loads since

One positive for that cheap as cheap plastic manual perfect powder dispenser from Lee. I use my chargemaster but my Lee, once I get it set for a weight throws nearly perfect charges every time

So we have had a few threads to help out new guys over the last few weeks. Thread on best piece of equipment, thread on sharing your reloading bench setup. So how about we share what was the worst/biggest waste of money you purchased for reloading! This will take me a little bit of thinking as I have wasted a lot of money lol.
An expensive (branded) strain-gauge electronic scale.

My chargemaster very rarely has any issues. It does have a straw inserted in it and changed the speed settings so it runs fast for longer and then trickles slower.

Very rare to get an overcharge since I made these changes and the few overcharges that I have had are only by 0.1 grains.

Cheap digital scale thinking it would be faster. After a major overpressure round went off and had smoke coming out around my bolt I tested it vs a good 'ol RCBC beam scale. I now take it slow and precise using a beam scale.
I always look in the brass to see if all are at the same powder level or for light loads I have a plastic rod to see if they are the same height.

A Lee single stage press I tried to use exclusively for de-capping pistol brass. It let the ejected primers jam the action every 4-5 rounds. Lee "Customer service" wasn't interested. Sold it on eBay. I had/have other Lee products that work okay.

Some will probably disagree but that's what makes the world go round.

Mine was to different powder auto dispensers (The RCBS Charge master) I realy thought these would improve my loading time and accuracy, They did not. I bought one and found that half the time was spent dumping error charges. So based on other peoples recommendations I bought another one to speed up the process (Some had as many as 3).

The second one was no better at dropping consistent charges than the first. and only complicated the process. so I set out on a mission to evaluate the powder charging process altogether.

I found that with a very good powder measure and beam scale, speed and accuracy was better than using the charge masters. I loaded 50 rounds with one system and 50 more with the other and it wasn't even close.

I checked each load individually and found the measure and scale came out on top with almost 100 % accuracy. the charge master was close to 20% rejected. Curious as to why, I started dumping more loads and If i waited long enough it would give me an error message and the charge had to be dumped.

Once I got the powder measure calibrated and got my rhythm down there were almost no rejects. I also checked these loads with a digital scale that measures to 0.01 g so there would be no human factor. this confirmed that the beam scale was being read correctly and accurately.

Some feel that this level of accuracy is not necessary and I don't disagree, but when I load, I don't want or need any excuses for poor accuracy and except the human factor as the problem.

So I have reverted back to a simple and time proven method that gets me the most consistent loads in less time with less problems.

I sold both of my Charge masters and have never looked back. and of all the poor choices I have made for reloading this has been the most costly one.

J E CUSTOM

Agreed! I have the Lyman digital dispenser (5th Gen I think) and it starts out great, but around 12-15 charges in, it will start doing crazy things! Like others have mentioned, I now set it .5 under and dump into my beam scale and trickle to the desired number.
Also second those who mentioned the ELD issues. Having used the Amax with great results, I fell for the hype and only have one out of 7 rifles that actually likes them! This has led to multiple partial boxes on my shelf that will likely never get used.

i started my reloading career a few years ago with my 6.5 saum using Hornady brass and redding dies.
I will have to say the worst thing I ever bought was Hornady brass.

i've also got like 2 or 3 handheld primers, a couple that were supposed to be the best with adjustable seating depth and stuff. got an rcbs bench mount primer. never looked back.

Winchester brass. I purchased two bags (200 cases) of new .223. There were 21 cases in that lot that had damaged or split necks and not one with perfectly round mouths. Case weight varied from 88 to 98 grains. I found 400 new cases at a swap meet that were produced probably 20 years ago. 1 split neck total, all with perfectly round case mouths, and weight ranged from 92 to 95 grains. Winchester's quality control has gone to hell. It is truly appalling.