Work of Art is on it's way.

re: Work of Art is here, now the work begins. (Bedding & Finishing)

Joel,
I knew it was old, when you asked me if it was dry enough. I tried looking for anybody selling any ironwood on the internet and all I could find was small pieces for bowls or knife handles or pistol grips.
Is there different kinds of ironwood?
Tarey

Tarey~
Ironwood or (Olneya tesota) comes in many different flavors... Desert, Persian, Ceylon, Borneo, and Pock just to name a few.

I don't know what sub specie your blank was, but it was easier to machine than the standard Desert.

Seal it up good, and finish it with a clear to preserve the unique color.

It weighs 4lbs.
The work continues.
I had to open up the barrel channel to fit the heavy palma contour bbl.
Then I drilled the action screw holes bigger to fit the homemade pillars and removed some wood around the lug area and all under the action, except for the end of the tang to accept the Devcon epoxy. I taped inside the stock where I didn't want the devcon to stick, which really made removal of excess epoxy that ran down inside easier. I also taped all around the outside to make cleanup easier ( a Nesika Chad tip I got from one of his bedding posts. I also copied his stock holding jig, but not as nice as his, which really made working on it much easier. Thanks Chad )
DSCN1767.jpg

DSCN1762.jpg

I taped up the openings in the bottom of the action with some real thin red tape I had. Also taped the sides, bottom and front of recoil lug with 10 mil tape. Made some 1/4-28 studs and wrapped then with tape to center the studs in my homemade pillars. I coated the action with a couple coats of paste wax and the studs with dielectric ( or silicone ) grease.
DSCN1765.jpg

DSCN1764.jpg

I found these air hose fittings that I used to make the pillars, being cheap and creative at the same time. I measured the length I needed from the factory HS precision stock that came on my 338 ultra mag. One is cut to length the other one has to be cut yet.

DSCN1755.jpg

Shown in hole in stock for fit.
DSCN1761.jpg

I taped the end of the barrel to hold it at the right height to keep the action level in the stock.
I mixed the epoxy and heated it with a hair dryer like Nesika Chad suggested and applied it to the stock and the action. Set the action in the stock and cleaned up the excess epoxy that squezzed out.
DSCN1768.jpg

DSCN1769.jpg

Last 2 pics were taken inside so they are kind of dark.
Now it is time to wait and hope it comes apart, or I will have to tape up the barreled action so I could finish the stock.
Tarey

OK, I won't make you wait, it came apart.
DSCN1772.jpg

DSCN1773.jpg

Here it is after I cleaned up the excess epoxy with the dremel.
DSCN1783.jpg

Now it is time to bed the HS Precision stock since this one turned out pretty good. Then I have to sand the outside and spray it. I have some automotive 2 part clear coming.
More pics to come.
Tarey

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.