Woohoo, I earned my stupid badge today...

I have done everything from accidently loading 45 acp blazer brass or should I say blazer aluminum cases that apparently got mixed in with mine..... Turns out they shoot the same as I had shot a handful before I noticed. To trying to run wsm brass threw a 7.62x54r die........Turns out that IS a problem............I have to say I wish I could take comfort in the stories of three ruined cases or two stuck cases but the truth is I have enough drilled and tapped brass to do a long match if they could be loaded. Several stuck case removing devises a 338 rum die that had to have the bottom inch milled of to be usable. I still have my first WSM die complete with permanently installed totally rimless case................ Love hornady one-shot lube and even getting use to the taste of it............. Did you know you gotta let that stuff dry for a minute before cramming the brass into the wrong sizing die? You ask if I have scars........oh ya I have my scars.

Oh, that hurts. I'm still chuckeling to myself.
Ya see this is the kind of stuff everybody can learn from, cause we can see ourselves doing something simmilar, if not identicle to what this guy did, or that guy tried, or your buddy did.
Great comedy thread that's (unfortunately) highly educational, & entertaining:D

Man, oh, man, some funny (painful stories here...). :) Stuck plenty of cases myself. Hasn't happened for awhile. I'd like to think I've learned something, but it's just a matter of time...:rolleyes::D

Did you know you gotta let that stuff dry for a minute before cramming the brass into the wrong sizing die?

You have to let it dry???? I tried it , didn't like it and went back to Imperial. Maybe I will retrive the can from the shop. I was using it for rusty bolts like WD-40.

I did load some RL-19 behind some 175 gr PT's the other day using my 160 gr H-1000 load. Didn't do very many before I realized that I was dumping a whole lot of power in the case.

Additional 'stupid' wednesday morning.....

We went up to the property just south of Big Rapids (Michigan) for an extended doe hunt, you can hunt anterless on private property here until January 1, centerfire, muzzle loader and I think bow (not sure, I don't have one). Anyway...

I'm hidden in some scrub pines below a bluff looking across a beaver pond with the scope dialed at 200 yards (for a I hope shot at the opposite bank, steep incline or atop the bluff overlooking the pond) and I hear a rustling in the leaves coming closer and closer and I look behind me and it's a large doe not 4 feet from my spot. It was dead calm do she never winded me. I have this cannon (111 LRH) and no pistol (I usually carry a .44 but for some reason left it at the house...who knows...)

Get up real slow and step from the cover to confront her, she bolts and I level the .338 and sight down the barrel, iron sight style and touch one off. I missed but my ears are still ringing today....

If I had my .44, I'd have a doe in the freezer. Seems to be my luck this year. The wrong gun, wrong weather or wrong timing.

Had a nice sirloin steak at Applebee's in BR the night before so all isn't lost. Applebees in BR has some 'top heavy' waitresses it seems......:D
Always next year.....

There must be a way to turn this thread into a poll or contest or something. lightbulbJust think, a gold, silver and bronze medalist on the podium.

oh wait! I just remembered, it's all fun until someone gets hurt...... and I would probably earn an honorable mention just trying to get a medal! :rolleyes:

RCBS stuck case tool is the best money I have ever spent. A couple of measuring spoons from the wife's kitchen have been annexed for measuring out my duracoat.

My worst stupid badge dident involve reloading. I was checking waters on one of the ranches i worked on in the late 80s and saw a coyote so i jumped out, and missed. That day i had an old remington 788 in 223 with me (Man that rifle was a shooter) and i usually carried it with a round chambred then i would close the bolt and let the fireing pin down . Well as i was puting it back in the truck i closed the bolt and pulled the trigger i just got the bolt closed a fraction of a sec quicker than i got the trigger pulled......I was deaf for abot 20 mins, Shot a hole thru the edge of the seat then went thru the side of the hump just behind the shifting stick then hit just above the floor in front of the passenger side door and knocked a hell of hole there....Scared me outa about 3 years of life and i quit carrying my rifles like that.lightbulb
Steve

OK, sorry guys, but I gotta ask. What brand and style gloves do you wear when shooting in that cold weather? It is between 45 to 55 degrees when I hit the range here in AZ and my fingers go white and numb. I am OK when it's 115, but when it is perfect shooting conditions for keeping a barrel cold my hands go numb. Any feedback is truly appreciated.
Thanks

45-55,:) cold weather, good one.

I've pondered this for a day or two. This was my most fore seeable blunder I think.
I bought a used above ground hoist years ago for my business. It sat there for a week
or two then after deciding where to put it up I called my employees to come help
stand it up. One tower at a time of coarse. The left head on the second tower was at the top, it weighed a few hundred pounds I'm sure. Getting the picture, as the tower stood
up the head came down. I had my hand wrapped around and inside the towers beam.
Fortunately there was a 1/4 reinforcement plate under the head that hit my hand first and knocked it out before the thing sliced all four fingers off.lightbulb

45-55,:) cold weather, good one.

When I read that I was waiting on one of the guys on here from MT to chuckle at that.
I live in the mountains of NC and it gets nowhere near as cold here as in MT, but 45-55 still is on the warm side.

A little saying that was floated last year:

COLD IS A RELATIVE THING. .. .

At 65 degrees above zero:
People in Florida turn on the heat.

People in Montana plant gardens.

At 60 degrees above zero:
People in California shiver uncontrollably.
People in Montana sunbathe.

At 50 degrees above zero:
Italian and English cars won't start.
People in Montana drive with the windows down.

At 40 degrees above zero:
People in Georgia don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and wool hats.
People in Montana throw on a flannel shirt.

At 35 degrees above zero:
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Montana have the last cookout before it gets cold.

At 20 degrees above zero:
People in Miami all die.
People in Montana close the windows.

At zero degrees:
People in Arizona fly away to Mexico.
People in Montana get out their winter coats.

At 10 degrees below zero:
Hollywood disintegrates.
Girl Scouts in Montana are selling cookies door to door.

At 20 degrees below zero:
Washington, DC, runs out of hot air.
People in Montana let the dogs sleep indoors.

At 30 degrees below zero:
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Montanans get upset because they can't start the snowmobile.

At 40 degrees below zero:
ALL atomic motion stops.
People in Montana start saying, "Cold enough for ya?"

At 50 degrees below zero:
Hell freezes over.
Montana public schools will open 2 hours late

People in Miami all die.

At zero degrees:

Hollywood disintegrates.

ALL atomic motion stops.

Hell freezes over.
Thats funny. I can assure you my idea of cold has changed since moving from Phoenix to Ohio three years ago.

People in Miami all die.

At zero degrees:

Hollywood disintegrates.

ALL atomic motion stops.

Hell freezes over.

I love it!! That's good stuff. The one thing that you guys have that I wasn't very fond of is mosquitos derived from the Hercules bloodline. I thought the little blood suckers in the humid south in July were bad. Up there any mud puddle is a place where you may need a blood transfusion if you stay there more than 30 seconds. When I was there the weather was in the 60s and 70s and the humidity was really low. If it got as hot and humid there as it does here then those things would be the size of blackhawk helicopters.

Still the most beautiful place I have ever been though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.