Winter type workout

Backcountry_IDN

What do you fitness gurus do in the winter for workouts besides hit the gym and lift? Treadmill? If so, just run? Walk on incline? step machine?

Looking for something else to do besides walk on incline for 30min-60min

No guru here.But I use to cat hunt when younger and was a major snow skier /racer.Now ive been out wolf hunting.Try find fresh sign or kill and get with them.Friend was chasing one the other day that was trapped but lost its grapple and pulling chain.I went next day,got on a few fresh tracks.

No guru here.But I use to cat hunt when younger and was a major snow skier /racer.Now ive been out wolf hunting.Try find fresh sign or kill and get with them.Friend was chasing one the other day that was trapped but lost its grapple and pulling chain.I went next day,got on a few fresh tracks.

The place where I wolf hunt is snowed in at the moment. We can usually get into it middle of February. Keep trying to get a buddy to take me after cats but he's half native and runs the reservation most of the time unfortunately for me. Once mid to late march hits, I'll head out looking for sheds

What do you fitness gurus do in the winter for workouts besides hit the gym and lift? Treadmill? If so, just run? Walk on incline? step machine?

I've gotten into rucking the last few months. I take a pack to the gym and throw a 45lb weight in it and hit the treadmill. Try and stay somewhere between 3.5-4 mph and play with the incline.

I try to stay in good shape year round so this time of year I focus mainly on building strength and increase cardio and hunting specific workouts a lot more starting 6 months from season. I do throw a couple days of cardio in per week now but mainly lift. For cardio I use a 60 lb pack and do the stairclimber or run. I just try to maintain my cardio this time of year and focus on strength building.

I try to stay in good shape year round so this time of year I focus mainly on building strength and increase cardio and hunting specific workouts a lot more starting 6 months from season. I do throw a couple days of cardio in per week now but mainly lift. For cardio I use a 60 lb pack and do the stairclimber or run. I just try to maintain my cardio this time of year and focus on strength building.

What lifts are you more focusing on?

What are you trying to accomplish with your work outs? cardio? You can do hiit at the gym if the routine cardio gets boring. I think its a more practical way of working out, personally.

If you can't do running outside because of snow, but still want to use the treadmill, .25 mile sprints for 30 minutes is killer if the treadmill can go fast enough. If you lift though, I wouldn't recommend doing so more than twice a week. Unless you are a runner.

What lifts are you more focusing on?

Right now I'm lifting four days a week and trying to do cardio 2-3 days. For lifting I do upper body twice a week and lower body twice, and core everyday I lift. The upper body lifts are a push day and a pull day, and the lower body I split with one being hamstring and glute focused and the other being quad and calf focused. I am a lean guy and this has seems to work really well for me in building strength.

What are you trying to accomplish with your work outs? cardio? You can do hiit at the gym if the routine cardio gets boring. I think its a more practical way of working out, personally.

If you can't do running outside because of snow, but still want to use the treadmill, .25 mile sprints for 30 minutes is killer if the treadmill can go fast enough. If you lift though, I wouldn't recommend doing so more than twice a week. Unless you are a runner.
Well to be honest I haven't been to the gym since September. Been hunting ever since. Me and the wife had our first child so I ate what she ate and well I gained some baby weight.

My main goal since I have quite a few hunts this next year (6-9) all minus 2 are pack in hunts. I really want to get down to the weight I was when I was playing in college. So lose weight and build the endurance but also maintain at the least and gain strength. A lot to ask for but I have some time. Been going to the gym last few weeks just doing push, pull, legs type workouts. Once spring and summer hit it'll be more high intensity.

Right now I'm lifting four days a week and trying to do cardio 2-3 days. For lifting I do upper body twice a week and lower body twice, and core everyday I lift. The upper body lifts are a push day and a pull day, and the lower body I split with one being hamstring and glute focused and the other being quad and calf focused. I am a lean guy and this has seems to work really well for me in building strength.
Good to hear. So you do push and pull on the same day?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.