Wind out west ?

I can't vouch for Colorado but the next state South of there sure is!!! NM is the ideal place to learn how to "dope the wind". Only because it blows 362 days a year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hehe, depends on where in colorado u movin to, the mountain area and foothills isnt too terribly windy but if you are out east on the plains well...if its calm you better take advantage of it. But other than that, I only really have a wind issue during the winter times like now since i do live in the foothills, but out on the plains it seems like its always windy.

Compared to Wyoming, No.

Compared to Florida, Hell yeah!!

Wyomings traditional wind indicator is a 3 foot tow chain and its usually horizonal.

The same chain in CO slants down about 45 degrees /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last year we were shooting in winds so strong it blew 50 round ammo boxes off my shooting table. Looking on the positive side, there weren't any mosquitos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Unfortunately our favorite shooting spot is downwind from a hollow where the rancher sometimes dumps carcasses. Can get pretty hummy but the yotes clean up the carcasses in a week or so.

I've been to hobbs,nm. shooting some pds. it was pretty windy there.It was may 20th and the wind was roasting hot.
Actually one calm day out of three.My 17 hmr was useable that calm day.

fishingdude7,
Do you live in colorado? My plan was the boulder area but now i'm thinking ft.collins -but not 'in' town.

Roy,
I did some hunting near kaycee,wy -oct 20th---->> wow what a consisitant gale force wind.Open the truck door and there won't be a piece of paper left in the truck in one second.
Your chain comedy isn't much of an exaggeration.
Just as IAN said -it blew full ammo box's ,binoculars ,etc. off the hood of the truck.Nothing could be left unanchored.
After several hours of this i actually got pretty irritated w/it and thats the reason for my asking about colorado.You couldn't even shoot off the truck hood because the wind was shaking the truck so bad.
Yesterday -boulder 29-35 mph nearly same the day before and very often weather,com 15-20 mph.
Well just wondering if this is something that is common there ,i guess a guy can make his coyote gun a 300rum instead of a 25-06. Mike

The 1000-yard range about 40 miles east of Denver is probably the worst range for wind in the USA. I laid that range out one day in January, 1985 at -5 degrees F. It's been dragged back by a team of 342 bulldozers from being blown into Kansas and Missouri several times, but folks still like to shoot there. I've seen the targets blow out of the frames more on that range than any other. There's nothing out on the prairie to stop the wind.

That aside, there's been some great 1000-yard scores shot there, both benchrest and highpower. On some days it's so calm and nice one can see bullet holes in the black from the 1000-yard line.

Hey Mike, I do live in colorado, have all my life. I am from littleton but am currently attending Colorado State up here in Ft Collins. Its a pretty nice town, and the area around it offers some great hunting and fishing areas. Every weekend I go out to the Pawnee National Grasslands to shoot which is about 35 minutes east of Downtown Ft. COllins (its open range country so you can set up targets as long as you can see). There is some development starting out east, but once you are about 10 miles out there isnt much around which is sure nice. Plus directly west are the mountains and the Poudre River (havnt hunted up there but I hear its pretty good, usually I go down to Lamar to do my deer hunting).
But yea, Ive also been to boulder a few times but living there is sure expensive from what I hear, but it is a real pretty town (tho there are many many hippies there hehe). But yea, about the wind, it isnt too terrible, but some days I have trouble even walking it blows so strong here in the foothills.
any questions lemme kno, i may be able to help

Bart B--->>342 bulldozers -pulled back from kansas-missouri -several times NOW that is some kind of wind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!!

Fishingdude7,

I'll plug you into my computer memory system.When i get to colorado i'll give you a hollar.
I lived in mississippi on the coast for 21yrs and did aalot of fishing.Mostly saltwater but inshore speckled trout/redfish also.I was in the ms.big game fishing club for a couple of years and have caught my share of whoppers.
Anyway i'll try and stay loosely in touch w/you between now and may/june 2007.
Do you praire dog /coyote hunt? I've been predator hunting since i was a teen in the 70's.
Well thanks for the reply Mike

Sounds good Mike, I do prarie dog and coyote hunt but I mostly do that around southeast colorado on my roommates ranch, or go out to my familys farm in kansas for the coyotes. However, I plan to get involved in the coyotes in August after this crazy summer I have planned comes to an end. I hear there are some real nice places to go, right around here. But yea, lemme know when you come out and I may be able to point you in the right directions, although I will pretty much be out of touch from the 1st of june until mid july (army does that to ya i spose). But yea, lemme know.

Also, you can get a 'Colorado Fishing 2006' guide for a listing. which will show you locations all along the platte for coyotes from what i'm told.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.