Thinking of moving out west

I've been to Montana twice, and loved it. summertime there is awesome. Kansas, truly sucks in July and August. Plus, less public land than every state but Rhode Island. So hunting is private and expensive.

In years past I loved New Mexico. Now it has turned into an expensive tourist trap. Please tell me I am wrong. Would love to go back, but where? Please not in the desert southeast. Even though it is pretty in it's own way.

North Idaho would be a good choice too. I know it has gotten a reputation as being the preferred home of some with Radical ideologies, but these guys are few these days. As a resident of WA, the home of Seattle Liberal extremists, I'd prefer North Idaho to any of the west coast states. If I were 20 yrs younger, I'd move over there myself.

Even though I live in Louisiana, I love northern New Mexico between Santa Fe and Chama. I have a good friend who lives near Hernandez. Within an hour you're hunting, whether it be elk, antelope, predator, or prairie dogs. And the food served in the area is awesome. You will get some snow, but not as bad as the northern states. VA facility in Albuquerque.

Northern Idaho is "IT"!!! Just moved here from the northeast a year and a half ago. Best mix of anywhere ive ever been. Not that it matters to you so much, but the westish coast salaries from spokane and living in Idaho are the way to go. All the game animals u could ever want and freedom to be a gun owner and outdoorsman. Millions of acres of land to roam. Nothing left to ask for. Getting more cali all the time but thats why more like minded people need to move here. Unfortunately ive gotta move back east for six months, but im keeping my fingers crossed for an opening here when im done. Montana is the only other place i have any real interest in living anymore. Low salaries and high housing costs seem to be the big negative there though.
Best of luck

I asked the same question and looked into the same thing.

WY, SD and MT are very very cold.
CO is the new California.

NM is great. It is still free. Beautiful. Varied climate. Hunting is good. There is a containment area around Santa Fe (just kidding, I like Santa Fe).
Idaho is also great. I hope to spend quite a bit of time there this year.
Nebraska seems to have lots of potential.
Kansas, the Flint Hills.
Norther Arizona is fine. Anything north of and including Prescott Valley.

Utah just made up some PIA laws for me but other than that it's a fine place. Again varied climate. Free and beautiful.

I would avoid Idaho at all costs.. I tried it and it was the worst experience I have ever had. If your interested I could give details in a PM

Consider yourself warned ...

60 degrees above zero ---Floridians turn up the heat
People in Montana plant gardens

50 degrees above zero -- Californians shiver uncontrollably
People in Billings sunbathes

40 degrees above zero -- Italian and British cars will not start
Montanans drive with windows down

32 degrees above zero ---Distilled water freezes
Water at Fort Peck Dam thickens

15 degrees above zero -- New York landlords turn up heat
Montanans have a last cookout

0 degrees ----------------- Miamians die
Montanans close windows

10 below zero ------------ Californians fly to Mexico
Montanans bust out winter coats

25 below zero ------------ Hollywood disintegrates
Montana's girl scouts sell cookies door to door

40 below zero ------------ Washington D.C. runs out of hot air
Montana's dogs sleep indoors

100 below zero ----------- Santa abandons North Pole
Montanans frustrated that they cannot start their mini vans

460 degrees below ------- All atomic motion stops
Montanans say "cold nuff fer ya"

500 below zero ----------- Hell freezes over
Montana public schools close

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.