Wind and Uphill/Downhill Shots

Ballistic AE and kestrel AB also Automatically calculates it for the shooter. I knew my kestrel did but wasn't sure about the app so I just checked.

Most apps use TOF for the distance correction and it correlates to wind. Riflesman rule is only in LRF's that take slope angle and correction for distance. In that case wind is calculated off of corrected distance and not all that accurate. However, the difference is pretty minimal unless it is extreme angles and distance.

Horus Vision has what you want. Shooting up or down you will be holding low
That is surely true and it can be a surprise at how much you must adjust downward. Especially with a big downwind howling down the draw or canyon. (Very typical in high country) Not a shot I can practice easily either shooting sharply uphill or downhill with 10-25 mph wind. I wud like to practice that shot at 4-700 yds so my first shot doesn't surprise me..I have had that shot at 370 yds down canyon down/crossing 25 mph wind gusts. Deer in it's bed and shot was 2" high over shoulder. I was shocked at shooting that much off with first shot when I already adjusted for drop and distance. Deer stood up and fortunately gave me a second shot. I dropped 3 more inches and direct hit on target. Drt. Referring to big straight down or up canyons. Tuff shot in high winds gusting and achieve 95% accuracy in a 2" radius kill zone with your first shot. This separates men from the boys to accurately assess the variables to always put that first shot on target. IMHO I am learning and getting more proficient. I respect those of you who are accomplished in long range hunting in rugged terrain where drop and winds can be severe and very challenging at long distance.

Anybody know how typical ballistics software/apps handle how it calculates wind drift for long uphill/downhill shots at steep angles? Specifically when you have a shot as shown in the picture that will generate an elevation hold for 693 yards but the line of sight and also wind exposure is 800 yards. Seems to me that probably this isn't accounted for by any app or software and that we as the shooter must make the necessary adjustment for the wind hold because if we feed in a range of 693 it will just kick back windage adjustment for 693 when in reality the bullet will have a full 800 yards of wind exposure.View attachment 158879

My ballistics app will calculate for uphill and downhill shots, you just need to input the degree you are shooting at. Then it will calculate it out for you... here are 3 different apps to show you. You can even set your phone on your scope to
Screenshot_20191122-023216_TRASOL.jpg
Screenshot_20191122-023300_Applied Ballistics.jpg
Screenshot_20191122-023342.jpg
capture the angle straight from the app.

Wave he is referring to how the app calculates wind for slope. If you use the rifles rule it changes the yardage based on the slope correction factor. Ballistic apps do not use the rifleman rule, they use tof to the target. A way to test this is to take the slope of a mile target and apply rifleman rule or slope angle correction and compare it to the app with the same data.

Different ballistic calculators handle it differently. As for the math involved I dont know and I know for a fact a couple of them are not going to share because they make money from it. I will say that the differences between some are noticeable. One company I have used even takes a different approach on the elevation dialed for the example you gave and I have found it to not be accurate. I will not negatively speak of any of the solvers in public but will say I trust and use Applied ballistics or Shooter.

I believe you guys are referencing dynamic jump. Not all apps calculate for this. Not
All apps calculate for vertical cross wind component either.

Wave he is referring to how the app calculates wind for slope. If you use the rifles rule it changes the yardage based on the slope correction factor. Ballistic apps do not use the rifleman rule, they use tof to the target. A way to test this is to take the slope of a mile target and apply rifleman rule or slope angle correction and compare it to the app with the same data.
Correct, that's why I posted my ballistics apps. They will adjust your DOPE based on slope degree... so yes it calculates it. I can find the formula of how it calculates the total yardage to the actual target, then based on that it is TOF that will affect the wind adjustments. Not a secret formula . What is sometimes proprietary is the drag models

I believe you guys are referencing dynamic jump. Not all apps calculate for this. Not
All apps calculate for vertical cross wind component either.
Thata why you only use good ballistics apps like TRASOL, AB, shooter is good, and Hornady... even though Dynamic Jump is basically a guessing game. Bryan Litz wrote a long article on it... Hornady stepped up their game finally only because they bought Doppler Radar system.

Correct, that's why I posted my ballistics apps. They will adjust your DOPE based on slope degree... so yes it calculates it. I can find the formula of how it calculates the total yardage to the actual target, then based on that it is TOF that will affect the wind adjustments. Not a secret formula . What is sometimes proprietary is the drag models
I am was just saying this because some people firmly believe in range adjustment based on a LRF shoot to range. They use the LRF or cosine to determine the shoot to range instead of TOF. I used to do this as well when using the adjust range from the LRF to input in the app. Once I understood TOF is more precise I stopped using slope angle correction and use LOS yardage to use in the app. I actually use the Sig 2400 which uses Applied Ballistics for the most part but I also use Shooter, which was developed by Litz. Both generate close to the same results.

I am was just saying this because some people firmly believe in range adjustment based on a LRF shoot to range. They use the LRF or cosine to determine the shoot to range instead of TOF. I used to do this as well when using the adjust range from the LRF to input in the app. Once I understood TOF is more precise I stopped using slope angle correction and use LOS yardage to use in the app. I actually use the Sig 2400 which uses Applied Ballistics for the most part but I also use Shooter, which was developed by Litz. Both generate close to the same results.

Excellent. Litz owns AB, Shooter was an offshoot that worked with Litz... AB is more up to date. There are two ballistic solvers, or engines, TRASOL uses, can't remember his name, but he's out of Argentina and owns Cold Bore, and then the other old school engine that Litz uses.

Most real hunters won't need the uphill downhill info because modern range finders calculate for it giving you a true range to target, which you just adjust for wind based on that number

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.