Winchster Power Point

skip AI

Has anyone done any penetration test's or know of someone who has done a penetration test using this round (.300 WSM)?

Is it an effective round for large deer up to 350m?

Why? Why not?

A test I performed was packing this tin full of wet newspaper and shooting it at 150yrds.
Result:

Entrance

Exit

cheers

I don't know if this will help skip, but from my experience with 150gr Win Power-points in a .308win they mushroom nicely out to 300y (Furtest i've recovered one) but sometimes shead thier jackets. 150's will drop fallow deer without too much trouble but i can't really comment on larger species because we don't have them here in Tas. But as long as they shoot well enough at 350y for you to conststantly hit a 4" ring I doubt you will have much of a problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

Yeah thats my thought aswell, I have shot a Sambar with the round at 127yrds and it dropped it on the spot (180gn PP .300 WSM).

cheers

Well, my dad shot a nice buck with that bullet at about 15 feet a couple years back. The buck was chasing a doe right at him. The doe broke off at about 15 feet, and this was the first chance he had to shoot. The bullet broke the front left shoulder (deer broke to the left), but the bullet did not exit. The buck piled up about 40 yards down the hill, but still dead and easy to track.

In other words, yes they work fine on game.

I killed one buck at 360 yards with it and it was quartering away. Bullet entered between ribs, broke offside shoulder and I recovered the bullet from the hide. Full expansion and the deer fell dead. That was with a 243 and 100 grain power points. I don't think you would have any problem way past that mark with your 300.

Congrats on the Samba, skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif . From what i've heard they're bloody hard to track down.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.