Winchester model 70 stuck extractor plunger in bolt! Help please!

codyadams

My buddy has a Winchester model 70 in 270 WSM that he wants to rebuild into a long range rig, problem is, it's the controlled round push feed bolt and the spring loaded plunger behind the extractor got some rust and seized. And now we're kind of stumped...tried soaking in penetration oil for days, tapping it, and even lightly heating the lug, but not much, as we don't want to mess with tempering. But, it won't come out, and we don't know what to do from here. I'll try to post a pic of the bolt face and what the plunger looks like. Maybe some of you have dealt with this before?? Thanks all!!

Here is a pic of the bolt face and the replacement plunger with a spring under it.

Attachments

• IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Screenshot_2016-10-27-15-21-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-10-27-15-21-33.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 193
Have you tried putting it in an ultrasonic cleaner? might loosen up the junk behind it and free it up? If that doesn't work I would buy a new one FIRST then drill out the old one and use a screw extractor to work it out. Might not be the best way to do it but that's just me.

Try grabbing the small pin on the nose of plunger with an appropriately sized needle nose plier. Also, try aerosol automotive brake or carburetor cleaner. Give it repeated blasts. Wear eye protection!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.