Winchester Laredo

bemidjifisher

Curious what your thoughts are on the Winchester Model 70 Classic Laredo LRH.

I have a classic sporter in 7mm STW and have had it since the late 90's, it has been a great hunting gun. Looking at something with a heavier barrel.

Thanks.

There's a couple of guys here hunting the Laredo rifles. From what I hear they are great. If your sporter shoots well keep it though, as it'll cost you big$$$ to remake it if you end up wanting another since they aren't made anymore.

I have a Laredo Sharpshooter and it is a great gun. I bought it last year from a member on here and have only shot factory loads out of it. So far, the Federal 160 gr Sierra BT (old stock that I had) put five shots in less than an inch at 100 yards, with 3 shot basicly in the same hole (under a 1/2") and the other 2 touching each other. This was also the first time that I had the gun out.

The gun is silky smooth and has a great trigger on it. Wish my other Model 70's had a trigger like that one. Its very crisp and light, with no creep. Mine has non-fluted barrel, where I believe the LRH does. This was a change made the year after mine was made.

Now, the Laredo is a heavy gun. Depending on scopes and everything, it can be 3 or even 4 pounds heavier than yours. If you do a lot of mountain hunting, that can be a big difference.

As for your Model 70 Classic Sporter, I would keep it. Those are nice guns and great shooters once a load is found that it likes. The triggers can be a bit heavy, but nothing a good trigger job can't fix.

Bill

Great rifles and pretty rate. Very rate in the STW chambering.

I recently thought hard about picking one up but the price got a little higher than I was willing to pay.

I can't speak to how it shoots since I just got my STW, but I can tell you
from owning another Laredo in 300 WM that these are a nice LR rifle.
They have the barrel mass and stock design to acommodate long range
accurate shooting. My STW has a 26" barrel and my 300 WM has a 24"
barrel but it also has the factory BOSS system that adds some length to OAL.
Both rifles have nice triggers and smooth actions, of coarse they are both CRF M70 classic actions and both New Haven guns, my STW has seen 140 factory rounds,
Rem 140 CL, Fed 140 TBBC, Win 140 BST, the previous owner told me that everything shot under the mithical inch and the WW BST shot closer to .5", I can live with that
since I ntend to explore it's handloaded ammo potential.
If you are a M70 lover as I am and a CRF lover as I am you won't be sorry buying one.
BB

Ive had a Laredo BOSS 7STW less than a month, still shooting factory ammo to build brass stash, so far the FED prem 160 accubonds shoot like a house afire! If I could put in case of it I would never reload ! I wanted a good honest 500 yard beanpatch whitetail hammer, I have a like new 59' mod 70 westerner in .264 win mag but its to nice to hunt in bad,foul weather with. I am impressed with this gun and cal! I am hard to impress. very best win poor

Ive had a Laredo BOSS 7STW less than a month, still shooting factory ammo to build brass stash, so far the FED prem 160 accubonds shoot like a house afire! If I could put in case of it I would never reload ! I wanted a good honest 500 yard beanpatch whitetail hammer, I have a like new 59' mod 70 westerner in .264 win mag but its to nice to hunt in bad,foul weather with. I am impressed with this gun and cal! I am hard to impress. very best win poor
We warned you.... .:D

I shot that ammo years back. Unfortunately I believe they discontinued it. So, if you like it, and you can find more...I suggest buying it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.