Winchester .350 legend

If you build one on a remington 700 short action you can throat that round out and get 400 fps more speed. I built these well before Winchester did except that I throat the barrel so you don't have to put the bullet all the way in the case. My round used the whole magazine with the spacer removed. My 35sheephead will go 400 fps more over the legend easy. And still shoots sub 1/2 moa. The legend is the fastest straightwall ever, make me laugh more Winchester.
Shep

A bunch of Marketing info that is incorrect and some straight out lies. Not enough energy if you hit a deer in the shoulder unless you are using the heavy power point. A 180g HP going that slow can get stuck in the shoulder. Tracked one for a couple miles this year from it without a recovery. Straight wall guys should stick to a .450 or bigger.

Will I hate to put anymore money and even time in it. I am maxed out on both. I don't want to stick some one with a problem and sale it to some one. I think better to throw it over the bridge railing. I did that 30 years ago on a Remington shotgun. if I have throw it over the rail , going to do it in the same spot on bridge. MD
Lol

Even though the op started this as a bolt action thread I feel the need to help the fellow with the bad upper. If you pull the bolt back so it stays back like on an empty mag and then put a loaded mag in and hit the bolt release does it feed a round? Or does it jam?Can you determine what barrel extension you have on your barrel?
Shep

I have both a bolt gun"ruger" and a ar upper "bear Creek" bolt gun is great for my granddaughter she enjoys shooting it in fact she's kind of of decided its hers already killed feral hog with it, my ar is flawless, set up with PRS stock, my favorite lion gun, we are not limited on cartridges in NM, just felt like it filled in niche in my arsenal, plus I tend to like 35 cal cartridges

Have experience with an AR upper and a buddy has the bolt action Ruger American in 350 Legend.

Great experiences with the round in both rifles.

I have a Bear Creek Arsenal 16" upper, bought 2 CMMG magazines that were chambered for 350 Legend. No issues with failure to feed or firing.

Shot the 145gr FMJ, 150gr polymer tip ammo and the 180gr soft points, no issues with feeding or firing with any of this ammo out of my upper.

Really good accuracy out to 200 yds with the Winchester 180gr Deer Season ammo.

I couldn't be happier with performance on an economy upper.

This is 4 rounds at 100 yds.

350 legend.jpg

Took this buck at 70 yds. He was trotting out of a draw.

3 shots at him, one took out his liver, another top of his heart and the 3rd wiped out his spine and he dropped like a pile of bricks. All were pass through shots on a nice sized Iowa buck.

350 buck.jpg

My buddy who bought the Ruger American bolt rifle in 350 had similar experience.

Very good accuracy with the Winchester 150gr ammo. His 13 yo son took a doe at 125 yds. Stiff cross wind and he dropped her in her tracks with one shot.

In Midwest states (or wild hog country) this is a good option for those sensitive to shotgun, 45/70 or 450 recoil. I had a 450 Bushmaster last year that I hunted with but it was so loud (have ringing in my ears all ready) I was going to be deaf shooting that caliber. Even with ear pro in, bad deal. Lethal on deer though.

Hope this is helpful info.

Yes I bought one 3 weeks.
A AR15 upper.
the biggest mistake I have ever made. !!! Upper will not feed ammo. Used the 350 legend marked magazine that upper came with. Feed ramps look good appears to be issue with the magazine the gun came with but now I have tried 3 different Brands of magazines.....tried 3 different brands and gr of ammo.
I Spoke to company rep from magazine company. He tells me to take dermal tool and grind down front of magazine so this big fat 150 gr bullet will leave the magazine ! Still failure to feed. Rep then sent me text picture of 2 magazine to show me how much steel to grind off their new magazine ! , gun still will not go bang ,bang ! All they can tell me is industry having issues with AR15 platform. We have switched every part out in this upper and with different lowers , still will not feed or auto ?
I have been dealing with out state visitors for Xmas the last Week so have not had to chance to even try to figure out issue. I live in Iowa , 3 miles from Mississippi River bridge. Going to put a few hrs and I guess a few more phone calls then it's going over the bridge. Would not wish this on anyone. I had Planned to use this gun for Iowa deer season , had to go back to deer slug gun. If you do go with 350 legend go with bolt gun not the AR15 platform.... industry does not have bugs out if it. Google the issues , save your self ha ha ha. MD

Seems to me if the magazine company is so knowledgable send the magazines back to them and have "THEM" do the grinding on their magazines!! It really p---es me off when a manufacturer makes their problem your problem and will not stand behind their product.

I have two 350 Legend rifles the Ruger Ranch rifle with the detachable magazine that works in the AR and a CMMG AR upper, both function flawlessly. I'm getting 1" groups at 100 yards with the 145 FMJ and 1/2" groups at 100 yards with both using the Federal 180 grain soft point. I've shot one hog and one deer and they both were DRT.
My 11 year old daughter shoots both of them with ease.
The cartridge has plenty of punch to kill medium game out to 200 yards or so.

Best of luck on your decision.

I understand guys. I have 3 AR15 guns and 1 AR10. All have run perfect right out of the box. This is the first upper I have ever bought in a AR15. I have always bought the whole gun at purchase time in past. Every one talks about how easy it is swop uppers around on these guns , make your own guns , etc . Will I can tell you first hand that has not worked in my case. I know I just had bad luck but I think this buying complete AR15 uppers is for a guys who like to tinker with guns , put them together , etc. They have a lot more patience then me. At 60 years old I need to have something that shoots right out of the box and the AR15 in the 350 legend is not it at this time from my experience.
I could have wrong gas tube in my gun wrong size gas tube whole , something not right with the bolt carrier being out of spec or Buffer tube not heavy enough , or buffer spring not heavy enough I think it is a magazine issue Being that magazine manufacture is telling me to grind down front lip of magazine to make their NEW $20.00 magazine work in a new 350 legend and sending me text pictures on how much to grind down after I already ground down a lot ! Not a good situation. It could be anything not causing gun to feed and not going bang , bang in a row. Some AR15 owners have had great success with this caliber right out of the box but not me. I bet I have have 10 hrs so far into the gun switching out components with other AR15 guns trying to make it work. No success yet. Having a Freind taking Gun home right know and he is going to break down every component and see what could be wrong and what I could have missed in the investigation. I will report back in a few weeks if we find the the issue. But guys go with the bolt gun , it will be a good replacement for a shotgun deer hunting states. So much less recoil on your shoulder even with a bolt gun. MD
Thanks for insight on 350 legend ! Was going to buy an upper kit to play with on at platform. Guess I will wait.

I understand guys. I have 3 AR15 guns and 1 AR10. All have run perfect right out of the box. This is the first upper I have ever bought in a AR15. I have always bought the whole gun at purchase time in past. Every one talks about how easy it is swop uppers around on these guns , make your own guns , etc . Will I can tell you first hand that has not worked in my case. I know I just had bad luck but I think this buying complete AR15 uppers is for a guys who like to tinker with guns , put them together , etc. They have a lot more patience then me. At 60 years old I need to have something that shoots right out of the box and the AR15 in the 350 legend is not it at this time from my experience.
I could have wrong gas tube in my gun wrong size gas tube whole , something not right with the bolt carrier being out of spec or Buffer tube not heavy enough , or buffer spring not heavy enough I think it is a magazine issue Being that magazine manufacture is telling me to grind down front lip of magazine to make their NEW $20.00 magazine work in a new 350 legend and sending me text pictures on how much to grind down after I already ground down a lot ! Not a good situation. It could be anything not causing gun to feed and not going bang , bang in a row. Some AR15 owners have had great success with this caliber right out of the box but not me. I bet I have have 10 hrs so far into the gun switching out components with other AR15 guns trying to make it work. No success yet. Having a Freind taking Gun home right know and he is going to break down every component and see what could be wrong and what I could have missed in the investigation. I will report back in a few weeks if we find the the issue. But guys go with the bolt gun , it will be a good replacement for a shotgun deer hunting states. So much less recoil on your shoulder even with a bolt gun. MD
If you are having issues with the upper cycling correctly, try a 9mm buffer and spring.

I have a 16" Bear Creek Arsenal upper and it has not had any issues. However, when unloading the CMMG magazines by hand I noticed the lip of the cartridge case mouth would hang up on the front of the magazine and would require a little extra force to push it out. So I used a Dremel to remove a little bit of the front of the magazine, slightly lowering it. This eliminated the hang-up issue. It had never caused the round to hang up or misfeed when firing the rifle but I didn't want to take any chances. The round is very accurate and has a smooth feel when shooting it.

I also have 3 of these.
All in the ar configuration. I also bought one that is being build for a donation. That's a rugar.
And all feed fine. The front of the brass seems to catch the lip of the mag on others I've seen not feed.
I can tell you right now that it is far better than my 450 bushmaster. I have taken 5 deer with it so far and none go very far with lots of energy left.
When I first got it I set up 4 water jugs at 300 yards and was happy to see the round traveled through all 4 jugs and into the backstop.
Also was able to dig one round out of a large deer quartering away. Perfect mushroom.
I disagree with most that think you want a heavy round I think a lighter fast one is better suited for this setup.
Fun side side note hammer Bullets has cut 124gr hammer hunter for this caliber just recently for me and Suprior Ammo will be loading these for purchase as soon as Steve gets more cut.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.