Winchester .350 Legend?

J.G.W

Not really applicable to a long range forum but has anyone had a look at/play with one of these new cartridges yet?

I see Ruger has chambered a couple of rifles for it and Hornady is loading for it so I'm guessing it's going to be around for a while.

I'm sure there's a few guys on here with an opinion already.

I have not played with one but I think it's a much better cartridge than the 450 bushmaster. I have a bushmaster and I think it's a lot of overkill and I see guys shooting g like crap because of the recoil. I also hate seeing these guys say my kid handles a bushmaster fine. All I've ever seen is it creating bad habits. I think the .350 will be Awsome. Plan on getting one for sure.

I have not played with one but I think it's a much better cartridge than the 450 bushmaster. I have a bushmaster and I think it's a lot of overkill and I see guys shooting g like crap because of the recoil. I also hate seeing these guys say my kid handles a bushmaster fine. All I've ever seen is it creating bad habits. I think the .350 will be Awsome. Plan on getting one for sure.
I have had zero issues with recoil in a 450 BM, and I have shot at least 5 different ones so far. Perhaps on the level of a 270 at most, and less than most of my rifles.

I just hate the ones with a brake. Not needed, and with a short barrel I would not be surprised if the brake actually caused flinching being so close to your face.

The 350 will be great for kids or the recoil sensitive. I do not plan on one.

Just my thoughts.

Slightly longer than the .357 Max but does not surpass the .357 Max in performance. I have an Encore with 24" MGM barrel that sends 180's at least 100 fps faster than the Legend. Just a load out of the book so it is not a redneck load at all. I was disappointed that Winchester didn't take this to 1.8" which seems to be the magic length that states have accepted so far. They could have really taken over the straight wall rifle field if they had done so. They could have added some velocity for the heavier bullets that is needed for effective deer round in this caliber. I have tried to shoot even the Hornady 140 FTX but didn't shoot very well due to barrel twist but it certainly screamed down range!

I do think it will be a great round for a lot of people since it will be recoil friendly, should be accurate but I am a little leery of the lighter than 180 grain bullets that have for it since they will be fighting the twist for accuracy. Kids, slight build folks will love it instead of being pounded by a slug gun. Or anyone who doesn't like being kicked around by a slug. I hope Ruger thinks about their rotary mag for one with at least a 20" barrel.

This is another example how the MI straight wall rifle rule has propagated some new exciting changes to how we can deer hunt in shotgun zones. Before anyone in OH gets their shorts in a wad since they passed theirs first it was taken word for word from the MI drafts. I know since I wrote it in 2009 and it took 5 years to get it passed thru all objections of MIDNR. At least 5 states have adopted similar legislation and there are a couple more waiting in the wings. It is a good rule and hopefully will get some new blood into deer hunting that other wised was turned off by getting slammed by a slug. I now see kids and women shooting .357 rifles, .44 rifles and so at the range on that wouldn't happened with even a 20 ga. slug.

Yes maybe it can out wrong. Guys that shoot often the 450 is not bad. I have no real issues with my socom which is almost identical to my bushmaster and I shoot that a lot. I meant to say most people. And by that I mean guys that only shoot a day or two before deer season and then roll out the 450. So maybe it's not the recoil maybe they just suck cause they never practice

Yes maybe it can out wrong. Guys that shoot often the 450 is not bad. I have no real issues with my socom which is almost identical to my bushmaster and I shoot that a lot. I meant to say most people. And by that I mean guys that only shoot a day or two before deer season and then roll out the 450. So maybe it's not the recoil maybe they just suck cause they never practice
Tell him man up it's a baby 4570

The reason I ask is I'm thinking about one for my kids, girls 10 & 8. They shoot a .223 competently but I'm just not confident with them shooting a red stag with it. I have killed many red stag with a .223 but I'd like something with just a bit more punch, a little room for error for the kids. Also cheap to run for practice.
I doubt we'll see them in Australia this year, maybe early 2020, so hopefully by then you guys will have them all worked out.

Wisconsin was wise enough to simply do away with shotgun only zones. Is there a viable reason to own something like this if you're not encumbered by a straight wall rule?

I thought it was neat, but JD Jones did some research and said it was a .346" bore diameter and .355" groove. A really fast 9mm is a lot less interesting to me than something that can push heavier constructed .357 bullets. I don't get where their marketing is coming from with it being the "fastest straight-walled cartridge." I guess they've never looked at the .444 Marlin for comparison. It could have been practical, but I can't come up with a reason they would make it use 9mm bullets instead of just making a rimless .357 Max.

My opinion, it has the same faults as the 450, pushing light handgun bullets too fast with less than desirable on game performance. They will sell a lot of rifles though, maybe I can pick up a cheap 450 when its traded in.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.