Will the one inch scope tube be eventually weeded out.

Wild Bill G

Got to thinking with size of scope tubes increasing as they have over the years will the 1 inch disappear. The 30 is becomming more and more popular with even the cheapest scopes now sporting a 30mm tube. The top scope are now sporting 34 and larger tubes. If we look back in history most scopes had what appeare to a half or three quarte inch tube try and find a nnew scope offering that now. Back then the 1 inch was probably thought of as a rich mans or crazy excess as far as scopes went. The same thing has happened with our objecctive lenses although a 56 seems to be a max for the most part.
So what do others think will the 1 inch stay or eventually just fade away. Feel free to give your thoughts and reasons why.

I have taken many animals over lots of years with a 1" tube. I never felt handicapped at any time by a one inch scope, be it low light or reasonable distance. Of course, back then, 3-600 yards was long range.

Now, all my scopes are 30-34 mm and have far better internals for reliable and repeatable dialing for elevation and windage. Plus, glass quality, lens coatings and reticles have come a long way.

I don't think 1" tubes are dead, for the average hunter at normal distances, as there are some one inch tubes with excellent glass. That said, I don't believe I could ever go back to them for long range specific rifles, but I do miss the light weight.

The problem with 1 inch tubes is poor alignment of the scope base to the barrel. Base holes drilled with a cant will often put your zero on the edges of the adjustment if the alignment is poor. Due to poor quality control, a good 30 mm scope is rendered to be the equivelant of a 1" tube if alignment of base to bore is poor. A 30mm tube give you some extra wiggle room for poor alignment. With custom actions and/or North European gun makers, tolerances are watched so usually with a 30mm tube, you get something extra and better. A good example of poor alignment is Reminton's attempt at making Marlins. "Barrel Droop" was a thing with them. I guess I don't need to tell anyone, except maybe Remington, that a barrel, action and scope all pointing in the same direction is a good thing.

One thing mentioned here I never thought of was the weight savings side of things. That savings would be more with high end scopes then ones using poorer glass. I uswed to joke that some of my first scopes had plastic lenses.

I am no expert, but I listened to a podcast with a couple.

There is a great podcast on meat eater, with a few industry guys, and a vortex rep that talks about this a lot. I would recommend listening to it. The whole meat eater podcast is great actually. I think it sais vortex rep in the title.

To sum it up basically in America 1 inch became standard, and in Europe 30mm was standard. Largely due to tooling and tube stock that was available off the shelf. Not much different aside from a bit more adjustment capability from an engineering standpoint inside the bigger tube. There is just more room, light transmission and all that stuff is too small to be detected by the human eye with all other factors being equal.

It lends itself to certain niche applications, but the vast majority of people 1 inch is more than enough. The rep even said its mostly just people see bigger numbers on the box and that makes them buy it. Most consumers are low information, just being on a forum like this makes you a higher information consumer. This also makes it easier to fit everything in the tube just by volume. As a rule, bigger is not better, there is more to it. Perhaps you can reduce cost of your adjustment apparatus and assembly. Or maybe its the same crap just a bigger tube and bigger numbers on the box.

I do believe that as more and more materials are made over time, and in a global market that all standard measurements will eventually phase out. If you run factory the makes bolts you need two sets of tooling, and the metric is cheaper due to higher volume. I wouldn't even recommend buying standard wrenches nowadays. Everything is slowly going metric in automotive just because the fasteners are a fraction of a cent cheaper. Manufacturers buy these parts by the ton. A true 1 inch tube would be 25.4 mm, so that is just silly to replace that tooling all the time when metric is taking over. Even now the tubes are probably 25mm, and just say 1 inch for consumer comfort and familiarity.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.