When will the Vortex Viper HS LR be out???

Optics Planet emailed me yesterday and said that they have the 4-16x50 LRs in, and all I had to do was resubmit my order, cause it was too old. I had backordered one 3 months ago, and now I hope to have mine by the end of next week!!!!! (08/17-19/11 or so) :)

Optics Planet emailed me yesterday and said that they have the 4-16x50 LRs in, and all I had to do was resubmit my order, cause it was too old. I had backordered one 3 months ago, and now I hope to have mine by the end of next week!!!!! (08/17-19/11 or so) :)

Good luck - keep us posted on what you think of it after you've had some time with it. How much they going for? I'm always a little weary about new products until they have been proven.

So what do you think of your Vortex Viper HS LR?

I just finally got around to lapping the rings, and mounting the scope. I will be shooting it some night this week and will post some pics of the gun/scope and the groups/how it tracks... etc. gun)

Hello, I'm kinda new to the board. I just picked up one of these from my dealer today. I mounted it to my new rifle. It's a 7mm rsaum built on a Stiller Predator Mag action with a Rock Creek barrel. I'll try to post some pics and some range info as soon as I can if you all are interested.

G.

Just got one in yesterday. Looks good. Bright ,clear optics.Hope to get it mounted and to the range soon.

What is the difference between the Vortex Viper HS and Vortex Viper HS LR? I can find several sites that have the Viper HS listed for sale but not the Viper HS LR.

400bull

I was hoping to get a HS LR 4-16X44mm. I checked out the pst and ended up getting the PST sfp 4-16moa. I am really impressed with this scope.

I did get a chance to check out the HS LR 4-16X50mm. It seemed pretty much the same as the pst with a different reticle and turret. I think I may still pick up a HS LR 44mm when they become readily available. I would rather have a 44mm objective on a hunting scope, all though the extra light gathering and illuminated reticle is nice.

Viper HS:
1/4 MOA elevation clicks for 12 MOA per turn(about 50 total on mine)on low profile capped turret

1/4 MOA widage on low profile capped turret

No Zero stop

Viper HS LR:
Zero stop

1/2 MOA elevation clicks for 24 MOA per turn(75 MOA total?) on exposed target style turret

1/4 MOA widage clicks on low profile capped turret

I just went down to a local sporting good shop to have a look at the new Vortex Viper HS 4-16X50 LR scope. My initial impression about the scope was WOW! The optics was pretty good. Not as good as the Ziess Conquest glass that I was comparing it with but as good or better then the Leupold VX-II. The turrets had a fair amount of resistance to prevent them from being turned accidentally but not enough that it would prohibit smooth operation.

The part about the scope that I am not sure I was so hip on was the magnification. This may be in part because I have never had a scope with more than a 10X. I think that a 4-12 would be ideal for my use. When you cranked the power up to 16X the image did not seem as clear to me. I did not notice this as much with the other two scopes but there highest power setting was 12X. So take that for what it's worth. The last thing I both really liked and disliked about the Viper was the reticle. The reticle was designed for what appeared to me precision shooting. Although it would work great on paper or at the range, I am afraid that the reticle may be easily lost when in a low light hunting situation. When you looked at the camouflage clothing across the room the reticle would nearly disappear in the dark back ground. I will need to go back another time at dusk to see if the reticle does get lost at night.

400bull

Got the Viper all mounted and headed to the range Sun.afternoon.I also took a rifle with a Zeiss MC Conquest 4.5 X14 X50. The Zeiss is somewhat clearer at the highest settings,but not by much.Both looks bright,but will need to have them side by side at dusk. After sight in,I found that I only had 26MOA of elevation left.So for really long distance,I may have to install a base with some bilt in elevation.Tracks really well too. So far I like it and feature for feature at the price paid,looks like a deal.More testing to come as time allows.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.