Will 626 yards qualify for LRH

I make jacketed bullets in 22, 24, and 30 cal and have about 250 or so cast bullet designs.
You can see a list here,
bullshop.weebly.com/

What started out as a hobby turned into a business. I was an Alaskan timber faller but a bump on the head put an end to that. All the guys from timber camp that I had been providing ammo for over the years convinced me I should keep it up. When I had to search for a new career direction making bullets just seemed to fall into place.

I make jacketed bullets in 22, 24, and 30 cal and have about 250 or so cast bullet designs.
You can see a list here,
bullshop.weebly.com/

Life deals it's cards. We just play them.

I shoot a Sig 556 fast twist gas gun. Short barrel. Wonder if those 70 grain offerings would function decently in it. I've been using 60 V-Max bullets to get a little velocity.

Bounty,

Just got home last Thursday from your neck of the woods. Nice shooting on your elk. We got 5 while we were there. Probably hunting pretty close to you. Hopefully we were not the hunters that got in your way. You made a great shot on your elk. Nice job. Just did the math, we were not the hunters causing you the problems. We are all good.:D

Steve

Life deals it's cards. We just play them.

I shoot a Sig 556 fast twist gas gun. Short barrel. Wonder if those 70 grain offerings would function decently in it. I've been using 60 V-Max bullets to get a little velocity.
The information on my site was from las tyear and since them I have gained some experiance with the 70gn Coynamite bullets. I did put together a 22/250 Ackley with a 1/9" twist especially for testing these bullets at higher velocity than I could get from the 223 cartridge with the same twist barrel.
What I learned was quite an eye opener. Where I was getting a top velocity of 2940 fps from the 223 chambering I found I could get 3450 fps with the 22/250 Ackley case.
The problem I learned with that is I found these bullets were at max torque from the 223 and if I exceeded the torque for the higher velocity they shot terrible. Max velocity for good accuracy from the larger case was 3000 fps so only a gain of 60 fps over the 223 case.
Something else I learned the hard way was that as stated on my web site last year I was loading these to 2750 fps from the 223 and doing quite well on coyotes with them. Now with the new load development of 2940 fps a gain of nearly 200 fps over last years load what I found is that the velocity gain is causing the bullets to fragment more violently on impact. This to the point that I lost two consecutive coyotes solidly hit. Dead coyotes for sure but not recovered. Not a good thing for a bounty hunter.
For this reason I have now quit using these for coyotes. My oh my how they do explode small vermin though.
Now about the rifle I built for these I found that I can use the same die settings to make the same bullet but instead of using the 22 RF jackets substitute them with Sierra J4 jackets that I have a goodly supply of and the bullet blow up problem goes away. I have been using that 22/250 Ackley now with the 70gn bullets the Sierra jackets with very good success. The high BC of this bullet combined with the 3500 fps the 22/250 Ackley case is capable of makes for quite a good long range combination for coyotes,

""We are all good.""
Well sure we are. No one really hurt my hunt in any way. They ran a little interference that required battle plans be modified in progress but hey thats all part of THE HUNT!
""We got 5 while we were there. ""
Wow! You guys did good! I talked with other non local groups of hunters that got skunked. The heavy snow made things move but the cold made it tough. I live here in Dell so can take advantage of breaks in the weather. My meat hunting is over for this season as I have filled my deer A and B tags and of course my general elk tag.
Now for the rest of winter I am bounty hunting.

"I have been using that 22/250 Ackley now with the 70gn bullets the Sierra jackets with very good success. The high BC of this bullet combined with the 3500 fps the 22/250 Ackley case is capable of makes for quite a good long range combination for coyotes,

I tuned a 22-250 for a fella. It that thing would have had a faster twist it would be at my place now. With your pills she'd reach as far as I used to shoot the 270 AM!

""We are all good.""
Well sure we are. No one really hurt my hunt in any way. They ran a little interference that required battle plans be modified in progress but hey thats all part of THE HUNT!
""We got 5 while we were there. ""
Wow! You guys did good! I talked with other non local groups of hunters that got skunked. The heavy snow made things move but the cold made it tough. I live here in Dell so can take advantage of breaks in the weather. My meat hunting is over for this season as I have filled my deer A and B tags and of course my general elk tag.
Now for the rest of winter I am bounty hunting.

I'm not quite non local, been in MT all my life. Just gotta be good on the optics and when spotted be willing to do the foot work. Also need to look on the land that is huntable and quit staring at the giant herds on the land closed to hunting.

My Uncle lives in Dillon, so I am down in that country every now and then. Perhaps some time we could meet and whack some rocks or something.

Steve

PS. We should all get together when Roy comes down.

"" Perhaps some time we could meet and whack some rocks or something.""
Oh my your cyber twisting my arm to go shooting. Wont take much! Lets see now sit here and tap keys or go shooting um I think I will go with the shooting.
Did you check out the reapers roost on my site? I sit there and whak rock chucks out to the top of the blough. I filled my deer tags from that stand this year. Its about 30 yards from the back door of my work shop. Makes it handy to get my work done and keep track of whats wandering about at the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts