Will 626 yards qualify for LRH

bounty hunter 2

Got my elk yesterday. Made three attempts after glassing small herds and had the first two foiled by other hinters. First try I glassed about 25 head that moved into a small patch of timber about maybe 2 miles away. I made my way on atv to about half a mile from where I thought they would be then stalked the rest. Knowing the area I set up on a ridge over looking a deep timbered draw where I suspected they would eventually move into. In maybe a short 15 minutes I saw a cow move into a small clearing then another then another. I am meet hunting so even though there were some fair bulls and I can get either cow or bull I chose a large cow for the better meat.
They were moving slowly so I had plenty of time to range them. It was 726 yards to where they were crossing a small bridge from one ridge to another. My rifle already set on the shooting sticks a half twist showed my range card attached to the stock giving the correction of 2.5 mils from the 300 yard zero I keep my rifle set for. The quick simple math with mils easy even for me meant 25 clicks for the correction at 725 yards.
Just getting wiggled into a tight shooting position and watching the cross hair wobbles getting smaller as I got a good position and maybe 10 seconds from sending a 100gn 264 cal A-Max on its way leaving the muzzle at 3700 fps I hear BANG!!! another hunter shot from the other side of the ridge and just like that the elk were gone POOF!!! #1 try for the day = FAILED
Second try after some glassing I finally located about 10 head from the scattered herd about a mile away and moving slowly by now. Jumping on my atv I tried to figure a rout that would put me ahead of where I figured they would end up bedding for the day. Again I parted the atv maybe a bit over half a mile down a draw that should lead me to the area they should be in. Making my way up the draw in about 8" of snow and glassing cautiously as I began to clear the ridge I spotted them about maybe 1500 yards or so distant. 1500 is too far for me being a beginner at LRH but I expected them to move down the draw in my direction as it seemed they were slowly doing. Just as I thought my elk was in the bag again with the shot from another hunter. This one not at the elk I was after but from the opposite side of me from the elk. This had the effect of turning them in the opposite direction and headed away from me. In a short time it became obvious that I was not going to catch up with these elk as they slowly disappeared over the distant ridge. attempt #2 = FAILED
Ah but as luck would have it the distant shot that turned my hopeful elk sent yet another small herd in my direction. Glassing the direction the shot came from I saw half a dozen head scrambling over the distant ridge that separated me from the unlucky hunter that missed his mark. I say so because perhaps 15 minutes after the elk topped the ridge I saw the hunter also top the ridge. He first looked all about then sat atop the ridge for a few minutes I suspect trying to think of a way to kick his own butt for missing.
Anyway since the draw that his elk went into would eventually pan into the same ridge that the draw I was in panned into I kept moving up the draw to the ridge top. Finding a good vantage point that I could cover the area fairly well from I set up to shoot again. Rifle on the sticks and laser at the ready I waited. It was a short wait when I saw the first cow top the ridge but a bit farther than I had hoped. Penetrating the light snow falling the laser said 626 yards to the lead cow. Checking my range card again said I needed 1.9 mil correction for 19 clicks on the elevation turret. By the time I snuggle into the rifle she had moved a little farther up the ridge. Not wanting to re range her I just waited for the next animal in the single file line to move to the position I had ranged. The next two animals were fork horn bulls which I can not shoot in this unit. Bulls must be brow tine to be legal. Next up was a very nice large cow. Already having set into a solid shooting position as one by one I watched the others pass I let the cross hairs settle right at the base of the neck. I always go for the spine to drop and immobilize instantly. There was no perceptible wind as the light snow had almost no angle dropping nearly straight down. The cow was moving from my left to my right and if there was any wind it was from right to left. I figured between a very light maybe 1 to 2 mph wind from right to left should about cancel out with spin drift in the opposite direction and that calculation must have been pretty close because that fast little bullet landed precisely where the cross hairs sat when the trigger broke.
Attempt #3 FINALLY SUCCESS!!
Then the work began!
Well that was my day yesterday and the end of my elk season.
The work of getting my elk dressed out and hauled home is now done and as I tap out this story I am enjoying elk tender loin.
Praise The Lord!

Great story. Anything over point blank range is "long range" in my opinion. Add public land, shot at and nervous elk, snow, and shooting sticks, makes 626 yards, "extreme long range"!

I think it changes with a bunch of variables. It's certainly farther than I've gone on game. I think it's farther than Len's WY hunts this year. Good job.

My definition has always been if you are needing to adjust for atmospheric conditions then you are LR. This is usually 500+ yards. That is also past MPBR and any kind of usable hold over as well.

So you rocked it!

Will 626 yards qualify for LRH?
You bet. Welcome to the club.
Good decision on passing up the estimated 1500 yard shot. That would not have been long range hunting; that would have been long range gambling.

Yep, that's long range!

A 100 gr .264 dia projectile @ 3700 FPS MV!

What cartridge is it and and It's obvious how it works for you.gun)

This rifle is the end of a project I sort of started 35 years ago. You see those many years ago I was in a pawn shop in Hamilton MT. looking at gun stuff and found a set of RCBS loading dies for the 6.5x06 Ackley. I bought those dies with the intention of one day building a rifle in that chambering. Spring of 2015 I built that rifle.
It is based on a Stevens mod 200 long action fitted with a 28" Pacnor barrel with 1/10" twist. 60.5gn of AA#4350 starts the 100gn Hornady A-Max bullets right at 3700 fps.
This rifle is all I ever hoped it would be.
When I enter this shot into my log it will be the 16th shot through the barrel and that includes the load development. The 15th shot was a very nice 5x5 WT buck taken right at 400 yards last week.
Shot #9 was the first shot at flesh which was a rock chuck at 650 yards. I was and am very pleased that the ballistic program I am using the Sierra Infinity program seems to be working well for me. The 100gn 6.5 bullet may not have the highest BC for the caliber but the high MV seems to compensate somewhat. This rifle was built specifically for that one bullet and is why I went with the 1/10" twist to get the highest possible velocity for that bullet weight. The 28" heavy sporter contour barrel is also a factor in getting the highest possible velocities from the slower powders.
I guess it was worth waiting for.

This rifle is the end of a project I sort of started 35 years ago. .
I guess it was worth waiting for.

Bounty Hunter,

I'm gonna give you kudos on that! Your post tells a lot about you. You'll do for the long haul.

You must be about as long in the tooth as I am.:) and a darn good shooter.

I'm hung up on the 270 cal and about to make the move on a 270 AI/Sherman/Gibbs. The 90 grain Sierra gave me 35 years of good service on chucks and yotes. We'll see what she can do with a coupla hundred more FPS.:D

royinidaho
Thank you!
Roy between me and you I doubt either of us could tell much difference between the two calibers 264, or 277 both being on the same case. I have always had a fondness and respect for the Ackley case design. As a young man I read and re read Parkers hand book for shooters and reloaders through and through many times. Truth be told if I had not already had the 6.5 Ackley dies in hand this rifle may well have been in 277 cal. but for sure it would still have the long barrel.
I have never used any of the Gibbs designs with the shoulder moved forward but am well aware that Rocky knew his business well and won the long range matches he entered with his 270 Gibbs.
My only reservation with the Gibbs designs is the abbreviated neck length. Right or wrong I have it set in my mind that the shorter neck may accelerate throat erosion over the longer neck of the standard Ackley design.
Anyhoo all the best with your project. I will be very interested in hearing what your results are with that and weather you go with the standard length Ackley or the shoulder forward Gibbs.
If I could push another rifle project past my minister of finance I would likely follow in your footsteps. That is not likely though as she would ask silly ridiculous questions like "do you need that"
BTW last April I began my 7th decade of life so not long in the tooth but at this point nearly toothless.

royinidaho
Thank you!

BTW last April I began my 7th decade of life so not long in the tooth but at this point nearly toothless.

I'll most likely go with the 270 Sherman design. It's simply the most convenient.

Ha, I gotcha by nearly 3 years. I'm so old I have to ride a mammoth jack and pack a mammoth jenny. Pretty darn good company.

I've burned out 2 barrels in 270 Allen Magnum. Harvested a ton of rocks. 170 grain offering @ 3400. 140 grain offering at 3600. Major throat eater for plunk'n rocks.:rolleyes:

I am not up on what the Sherman design is but guessing it is on an improved 30/06 case.
I like the long barrels in this type chambering because they extract every last fps possible from a non magnum case. They can at time seem cumbersome near the end of the day with many miles afoot behind you.
I have just always felt that it made more sense to increase barrel length to achieve ballistic gain than to go to a magnum chambering. That way you get the magnum performance without the increased powder charge. More powder = more kick and shorter barrel life.
The Ackley case is amazingly efficient and reduces case back thrust to the point where primer condition is not a reliable indicator of pressure. With the Ackley case if your using primer condition as your pressure indicator by the time you see a flattened primer you are already over the top in pressure assuming a dry chamber free of any lubricant.

Bounty,

You know your stuff.

I'm gonna google on Dell MT and see if my old bones would haul me there.

Just google'd Heck yur nearly in Idaho.

When I get this project together, a fella in Dillon will most probably do the work, let's get together and compare these two screamers. Whatcha say?

Your welcome here anytime. I have been known to drop everything and go coyote calling with little encouragement from a friend.
Got the last of the elk butchered up today so aside from filling bullet orders I am free for coyote calling.
Yup almost in Idaho maybe about 15 miles to Monida pass and the Idaho line.
Fair warning though we kinda live different than most folks and make due without the frills many think they need. I feel sorry for them that will never know just how good bread and pies are baked in a wood cook stove. Lots more work but ever so much better. Just a little bit ago finished a second slice of pie from that wood cook stove, yea man thats what I'm talking about

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.