Wildcats based on 450 Dakota

sewwhat89

Are there any wildcats based off the 450 Dakota? The round would require a .582 bolt. Is that the same as .338 LM? I'm not sure you could neck it down to .270-.308. According to Dakota, the 450 Dakota holds 145 gr of HOH!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That's huge if you could get it down to .338 or .308!!! let alone .270!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyone know of any wildcats?

I believe the 450 is basically a 416 Rigby necked up to 458. There may be some minor shoulder changes and shoulder diameter changes but I think its basically the same case.

It would be easier to take the 416 Rigby down to 338.

To be honest, the 338-378 Wby and the 338 Kahn are far superior as far as ease of loading is concerned and identical performance levels. Just have the belt to deal with.

I suspect that 145 gr capacity is filled to the case mouth. Actual powder capacity will be in the 110 gr range I would predict, same as the 338 Kahn.

Kirby Allen(50)

Oky dokey! It just looked like a monster case that seemed to have no children of its own. I guess its due to what you said; it is itself a rotten step-child. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.