Where to find South Dakota coyotes?

Red Moose

Rapid City, South Dakota when not traveling
Newbie (Old Fart) headed that way for the summer and fall. Any ideas on public land or good places in western half of the state? I'll base out of Rapid City, single and have two good rifles in my full-time RV, pulled by an F-250 4X4. Any ideas on how to get started?
"Red Moose"

I would first try going to the National Grasslands East and South of Rapid. Go East of town on hwy 44 to the first gravel road east of Farmingdale then turn south and follow the signs. You will also find a rifle range there if it is still open. It has been about 5 years since I was there and at that time the coyotes were a little pressured but you can still find them. Also alot of the Black Hills is public and holds coyotes but I personally have had little luck calling them in the trees, maybe try a turkey call vs rabbit if you call.

You could probably go most anywhere in the northwest part of the state. Lots of public land and not a lot of landowners would turn you down to hunt coyotes.

I'd start at this old barn!!!
This is Tony and Terry Russell, and Rocky Longbrake, { Dupree , SD }

You don't think we don't have a coyote problem in western South Dakota well think again!

These three boys shot over 400 hundred coyotes in western South Dakota from the first of

November to the first week of February 2011 with in twenty-five miles of my home town.

There are 208 coyotes in this picture and the majority of the coyotes had mange.

I do truly thank these three boys for all the help in the control of these predators! I'm a

rancher in western South Dakota and without their help with predator control it would be

impossible to raise livestock.

Thanks to Paphil, specially for the splendid photos . . . can you send me a PM with how to reach you after I get settled down from my trip to Rapid? I am in Indiana getting ready to pull out of here next week.

Those pictures were fabulous! Thanks again,

Jim Allen, (aka "Red Moose")

Really hope they did at least SOMETHING with the hides or whatever, seems like such a waste if not....hmmm, how does Coyote taste.......LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.