Case forming 30 cal lapua based wildcats

squeaker

Thinking about a 30 wildcat based on the 338 lapua case.
Anyone have the steps for forming?
Don't know if I'd neck down in two steps or what?
Neck turn?
Improve with h20 die?
Then anneal?
Don't know if I want to go though all the trouble. But I have a lapua action on order

Lots of good 30 cal designs out there. Stick with Lapua brass for availability and consistency. Go with a modified Redding "S series" die and neck down in two stages: .323, then .308. No need to anneal at start, but if you go with an 'improved' version you should probably anneal before fire-forming. Make sure you seat bullet just into the lands with a slightly reduced load when fire-forming. This helps keep the case head tight against the face of the bolt when fire-forming.

Thinking about a 30 wildcat based on the 338 lapua case.
Anyone have the steps for forming?
Don't know if I'd neck down in two steps or what?
Neck turn?
Improve with h20 die?
Then anneal?
Don't know if I want to go though all the trouble. But I have a lapua action on order

I'm very pleased with my Whidden hydraulic form die.

[ame]https://youtu.be/KCqb_7UYh9k?t=2[/ame]

I size mine down in one step. Have the cut the chamber so that the neck shoulder junction has a little crush fit on the virgin brass. That way you can fire form with the cream of wheat method.

As far as neck turning goes that will depend on the reamer used. I have done it both ways. I do not like to neck turn brass. It simply is not fun. Our reamers are now for no turn necks. The tight neck is probably more accurate and easier on brass, but in my world of 1000y hunting accuracy, I can not tell the difference.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.