Wildcat question

Rich,
So even though you have your own adg brass all your cartridges still have to be fire formed??

Not necessarily. Call Matt at Long Way Brass. He'll sell you already fireformed brass. Otherwise you just have to load them and shoot them to blow the shoulder out. Not a big deal. Seems like most of the time you can actually do a good deal of load testing while fireforming. Often, your final load won't be much different and your barrel velocity won't stabilize until ~100 rounds anyhow...so you need to fine tune after that anyways.

The SST does not need forming other than a little taper is removed the first firing. The ss needs the shoulder formed also but was already described above and Longway Brass has fully formed.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5273

Here is an interesting read for anyone who is actually interested in learning.
Its pretty lengthy but talks a lot about case design; specifically how length, shoulder, neck, taper, etc. work together.
That link has more links which opens up a whole new rabbit whole to chase....I enjoy reading stuff like that which is backed by documented experimentation and whatnot

That link has more links which opens up a whole new rabbit whole to chase....I enjoy reading stuff like that which is backed by documented experimentation and whatnot
Well it seems I'm 10 years too late, those links appear to be broken, so no finding the articles they were all talking about.

I have no background at all in wildcatting, really dont even want to go down that road of creating my own, but curious about shoulders. Lots of catridges made better by going to 40degree shoulder, so why not keep flattening it out more and go to a 45 or 50 degree?
I haven't researched this at all, so maybe somebody did already.
.. but what would be the impact of such a should bump?

Brad Stairs' Tejas has a 50-degree shoulder angle.

ICLs (Increased Case Loads) have 45-degree shoulder angle.

Last edited:
Having a shoulder angle that's too sharp can cause problems with some powders; powder bridging is a very real issue if you're trying to burn something like H50bmg in a 6.5mm with a 40° shoulder. The sharp shoulder angle can cause extruded powders to form a "log jam" at the case neck and give some pretty extreme pressure spikes. A 35° shoulder angle doesn't have that issue.

Last edited:
When bending a metal to 90 degrees over and over again, it will soon fatigue and fail. I chose the same shoulder angle on my two mildcats as is found on the .30-06 Springfield. If I remember correctly out of hundreds and hundreds of fired rounds, I had one or two split necks. I used the gentle '06 angle in order to get smooth & reliable feeding. Using 3500 grains of powder per round was not a design parameter...

I clicked on the saubier.com link. It worked for me...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts