Novice Wildcat question

I'm a novice with wildcats and have so far only used existing cartridges that I could find dies for basically piggybacking on someone else's work. I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the 7mm rpm, whidden wants 3 pieces of fired brass to make dies. So my main question is how do I make the initial rounds to fire to get the fired brass?
I have some 7mm dies both remington and weatherby. Could I neck size the rpm in either of those? Would I need to order a rpm bushing die to seat?
Stick with this plan, you'll be much happier because it is your original idea.

This why I never ask what rifle to build or buy.

Last edited:
Have you followed through with your plan? I would love to know how the 7mm x 6.5 RPM turned out.
I am thinking about buying the Backcountry Rifle in 280 AI and having it reamed with the 7mm x 6.5 WBY RPM reamer from 4D Reamer Rentals. Then having Whidden make the sizing and seating dies.

Last edited:
I have three sets of whidden dies be very specific that you want small base die. they don't size enough normally for high pressure rounds usually only .002-.0025 at base and that is not enough if you run up the pressures you will get hard bolt lift and clickers. .0035-.004 would be better. most people that have used them for wildcats wont do it again
I am presently having a 6mm-280AI being built. I haven't moved on dies yet. Still waiting on reamer to do the barrel. I was planning on sending the reamer onto Whidden to do the dies. That has me backing up for now and looking again. The reamer is being set for a tighten neck of .013. Where to go?

I am presently having a 6mm-280AI being built. I haven't moved on dies yet. Still waiting on reamer to do the barrel. I was planning on sending the reamer onto Whidden to do the dies. That has me backing up for now and looking again. The reamer is being set for a tighten neck of .013. Where to go?
for a 6-280ai you can use a 280ai bushing die and change bushings that will be the easiest way until you get formed brass. once you have brass that has been fired three times contact Hornady custom die department, more and more people are going to Hornady. Whidden makes a good die just be very specific on the phone and with directions on what you want placed in package with brass and reamer print. my next wildcat i will be contacting Hornady

for a 6-280ai you can use a 280ai bushing die and change bushings that will be the easiest way until you get formed brass. once you have brass that has been fired three times contact Hornady custom die department, more and more people are going to Hornady. Whidden makes a good die just be very specific on the phone and with directions on what you want placed in package with brass and reamer print. my next wildcat i will be contacting Hornady
Got it copied down in my notes. Thanks for the info. I am now at 17 pages of notes for this build. Not all is on the 6mm/280AI, but info I have pickup in getting this built. Going to look into it. Thanks again
Mike

I'm a novice with wildcats and have so far only used existing cartridges that I could find dies for basically piggybacking on someone else's work. I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the 7mm rpm, whidden wants 3 pieces of fired brass to make dies. So my main question is how do I make the initial rounds to fire to get the fired brass?
I have some 7mm dies both remington and weatherby. Could I neck size the rpm in either of those? Would I need to order a rpm bushing die to seat?

some info on necking up the RPM case here .....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.