Wildcat Design ?

375rifleman

I`m considering designing/making a new wildcat cartridge I don't know if I should use the AGI Taming Wildcats program, NECOS Quick Load program, or NECOS Quick Design program or other? I`m trying to use the least amount of money possible. Does anyone have any thoughts or input on this subject as all would be appreciated I do realize that almost everything has already been either necked up or down or changed in some way already. Thanks

I have all software & I'm with MudRunner2005 as far as 'Cartridge Design',, combined with Quickload for prediction (based on H20 capacities built).

I`ve been wondering if anyone has scaled up a 6mm PPC or other benchrest or very accurate rifle cartridge? I would like to be able to do at 1000 yards what the 6mm PPC does at 200 yards.

The 6PPC is an underbore with advantage going to small chamber area. This, combined with mid-weight BR bullets, allows extreme pressure loads with excellent fast powders(like N133) out of short stiff barrels at slow twist.
This combination is what allows performance from a 6PPC that's so easy a caveman could do it.
But nothing about it applies to distant shooting needs, because nothing about it is viable in larger area cartridges with high BC bullets.

Probably the largest current underbore with POTENTIAL for internal ballistics of a 6PPC is the 6.5x47L (a mid-range cartridge by design). I know of no cartridge/build for 1kyd that can routinely push +75Kpsi loads with bullets that are competitive there(heavy for cal).

So while there are a few cartridges that will eventually dominate as best overall at 1kyd, I doubt we'll ever have a 1kyd 6PPC.

The wsm's, saums, and wssm's were all designed with the stubby match cartridges in mind and look where they went.... I'm glad I bought enough brass for my 25 wssm to shoot the barrel out....

The idea of a wildcat appeals to most of us but to be successful it should fill a need, or a space between cartridges.

One can wildcat any cartridge, but unless it does something needed, it is just a lot of expense and
trouble.

A wildcat can be any cartridge with any changes to the original design/specifications . Sometimes we just want something different and are willing to except the time and effort to go through with
the project.

Wildcats can be problematic and lots of though and study should be invested before starting
down this road. (Not trying to talk anyone out of doing a wildcat just warning that this should
not be taken lightly)

There are lots of variables that have to go into a wildcat for it to be successful and safe.

PO Ackley discovered that simply changing a cartridge did not always benefit it so he looked at improving it by making some simple changes that would improve brass life, aid powder burn consistency, lower bolt loading on the bolt and action, and increase powder capacity just enough
to improve performance.

I have designed several very successful wildcats that did exactly what I wanted them to, and found that most of the time velocity was not the main goal.

I would recommend that you start a list of your needs and wants and see if there is a cartridge that closely fits and see if it can be improved with minimum changes. sometimes major changes are a bad idea for some cartridges.

Go slow, and have fun with it.

Just my opinion and some advice from an old shooter.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.