wildcat bullets for 257

oldfamily

Was thinking of ordering some wildcat bullets thing is I am not sure of which to order. was thinking of ordering the 100,120,and 130's. Thing is my barrel is a 1-10 twist would the 120 or 130 be too much for this twist,out of a 257 stw, ramshot magnum powder? Around here shots would be limited to 600 yards at the most, and the normal long shot would be around 350 to 450 yards. What I want is an accurate load don't care if it comes from a 100 bullet or 130, don't have to be the fastest just would like to have it do the job when it hits its mark.

I used the 125g ULDRBBT out of my winchester 25-06. It has a 1 in 10 twist. It stabilized that bullet just fine. Got 1 inch groups at 300. Tested them out to 525 on paper and wacked a big whitetail with them at 440 yards. ALso shot 2 coyotes when I was deer hunting. 1 was about 100 yards, the other was 600 yards. Very accurate bullets that hit very hard for a 25-06. I was getting 2960fps with RL-22. You would have a hell of a setup using them out of a 257 STW.

When I was using the 257 STW as my deer rifle I started with the 100 gr BCFBHP and loved it. Hit 3950 fps with 1/4 moa accuracy at 100 yards. My wife popped a record book class pronghorn with this rifle which worked extremely well. IT did show us though that the 100 gr bullet at these velocities(30" barrel) was to light for anything heavier then pronghorn.

Switched up to the 130 gr BCFBHP and velocity dropped to 3450 fps and accuracy at 100 yards was in the 3/8" range. The biggest advantage was the velocity spread, really tamed down with the heavier bullets.

Also, when compared agains the 100 gr FBHP at 500 yards, the 130 was far more accurate producing averge groups in the 1/3 moa range compared to a bit over 1/2 moa for the 100 gr pills.

I used that bullet for several head of game and it worked very well. That bullet was built on the J-4 jacket and at closer range, it was still stressed pretty severely but performed very well on deer size game. Remember though that it is a bonded Core bullet.

At the velocity potential you have with the STW I would highly recommend you use a bonded core if you will be hunting any game that is much over 150 lbs unless it is all past 400 yards in shooting range.

When I developed the 257 AM, Richard designed a beefed up 130 gr BCFBHP specifically for this chambering and its 3650 fps velocity potential. It is a stouter jacket, lead right to the HP tip and with a much tighter Meplat then the J-4 jacketed bullet design. As such, expansion is delayed just enough to perform better on deer size game at the higher end velocity ranges.

I would drop Richard an e-mail and tell him what you have and what you will be doing with the rifle. He can then recommend which bullet he would recommend.

WHile the ULD RBBT will offer higher BC for longer range shooting. If you are hunting deer size game at ranges under 300 yards, I would personally look at a Flat Base Bonded Core bullet from Richard. 130 gr would be my choice.

From bullet drop numbers, the J-4 jacketed bullet produced a BC of .550. The slightly shorter beefed up version for the higher velocity rounds produced a BC in the .500 range. Basically the same as a 180 gr Accubond so that puts it into perspective. Pretty impressive at long range with your velocity potential.

If your just punching paper or game no larger then pronghorns or if all your shooting is at ranges past 300 yards, then the ULD RBBT will work fine for you.

Again, ask Richard, he will tell you what he recommends for your specific needs.

Your 1-10 will handle anything up to the 130 gr with your velocity potential. I even tested some prototype 145 gr FBSPs from Richard in my STW and out to 200 yards then shot pretty well, 3/4 moa anyway!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

You should be fine with starting loads for the 120 gr bullets out there. I do not have any starting load data for Ramshot powder though, sorry. There should be plenty on the net though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Where can I buy the wildcat bullets? I don't see the 125 in a .257 listed on there web page. How would that 125 work out of 257 Wheaterby 1/10 twist Moe

I have been using the 125gr uld in my 25-06 and I am very impressed. That little sucker delivers a big thump at 500yds. I am pushing it around 3050fps with what I think is 59gr of Rel22, dont qoute me on that, I will check tommorrow and post back. I think the load is pretty hot but I am gonna have the gun re-barreled before to long anyway.

If you need to order some just contact Richard Graves at his email. His name on here is bulletsmith

steve

moe

The 125g is not listed on his site as far as I know, but like lerch said, you can contact him. I have also shot those bullets out of my 25-06 at 2950fps. Like lerch said, they deliver a nice thump for a smaller bullet at 500 yards. Your 257 weatherby with a 1 in 10 will shoot them just fine. Thats all my 25 had for a twist and it shot them great. With an extra 200-250fps, it would be an awesome LR antelope/deer combination for you.

Moe, we used this bullet last year on 6 Antelope, 3 Mule Deer & 1 Whitetail ranging from 80 yards to a little over 400 yards with great results. We used them in 25-06AI Sendero's at 3,250FPS. This should be an accurate indicator for you, if you have a 24" like the Vanguard, the velocity should be about the same or with a 26", maybe 50-100FPS more. However, I feel our load is fast for a 25-06AI. Most
exits were quite dramatic! My groups are .25-.35".

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.