Why the 338-378 Weatherby is my favorite long range Rifle

i've not strayed from the standard wby calibers until recently - i've always wanted 30-370 now i have one coming. I'm debating on 338-378 in the apex model? I'd like a lighter rifle think i would shoot it more otherwise I would use my 340 which is one of the most accurate rifles I own. LIke tony i'm a southpaw, own varmintmasters up to 378 only missing the 375 and 338-378 at this point. Not sure i'll end up with the big 4's. Passing down a cool collection to my boys one day was the goal - it's been a labor of love I have 4 boys and 2 girls so i'm sure other boys will be around here somewhere? :)

Tuned two older 338/378's for buddy and my son. Needed bedded, new trigger and different break ( Fat Bstrd 2) . Both shoot 300 gr Bergers at 2870 lights out at 1000 yards. Cold bore hits on 10" plate at 1000. One group of 10 rounds had less than 2.5" vertical. Not sure about new ones, old ones were kreiger barrels I believe.

I still like the 338-378 weathetby for long range hunting .I do want one with a 32 inch barrel to get yhe full speed out of it .I will use mine where long range shots are present.
Been shooting the .338/.378 for years. 30" Lilja barrel.
Used 300 Bergers, 300 Accubonds, I even shot some 325 grn Rocky mountain bullets from George in Montana.
But, I have to say 110 grns of N 570 and 285 grn Hammers at 3,100 is the stuff for my gun. Will go faster easy but this is my absolutely most accurate load. Sighted in at 100, is around 18 MOA at 1,000. T4 Terminator brake = a pussycat!!!!!!

Been shooting the .338/.378 for years. 30" Lilja barrel.
Used 300 Bergers, 300 Accubonds, I even shot some 325 grn Rocky mountain bullets from George in Montana.
But, I have to say 110 grns of N 570 and 285 grn Hammers at 3,100 is the stuff for my gun. Will go faster easy but this is my absolutely most accurate load. Sighted in at 100, is around 18 MOA at 1,000. T4 Terminator brake = a pussycat!!!!!!
What elevation you shooting at? Thats a lazer !

Not to worry as I think most of us have replied to a thread that was ancient.
But the 300 RUM is a hamr all on its own
Btw has anyone tried the staball HD in it yet?
I have 4 pounds and want to try in 300 RUM. Retumbo was my go to powder for years. Changed barrel and shooting heavier bullets. Been using N570. I want to try the Staball HD in 300 WM also.

I have about 6000 pcs of various Weatherby brass I make into 338-378 .I use 30-378 338-378 378 and 416 weathetby brass .The 416 Weatherby brass is kinda a pain you have to ream out the inside of the neck .I hope this new norma brass is good just bought a bunch more .I hope to get a 32 inch barrel put on one of my rifles if I ever burn one of the barrels out .

WOW !!! Gentlemen , Really impressive big Game Calibers!! Easy to see why it would flatten an Elk. I take my hat off to you children of Elmer, who can actually handle and enjoy that big stuff. It is WAY out of my league!!! The energy numbers must be out of this world!!!

Lenny, they're definitely effective on game and have great ballistics. And, unless you want to shoot a lot from the bench, they're not difficult to master. I'm also guess'n, that most are wearing "weed burners"!

My wife's 9 pound (all up) .338WM doesn't compare in velocity to those above, and is just a bit above 2900 mv with a 225 Barnes TTSX…..and "no weed burner"! She does quite well with it hunting……hates shooting from the bench. Soooooo she does minimal bench shooting with it….. bench shooting or practical feild shooting is what other rifles are to be used for.

You only need to shoot hunting rifles to be sufficiently proficient with them, after all they're hunting rifles…..right! 🤔 😉. Burn up the barrels on sump'n else! 😁 memtb

Last edited:
Lenny, they're definitely effective on game and have great ballistics. And, unless you want to shoot a lot from the bench, they're not difficult to master. I'm also guess'n, that most are wearing "weed burners"!

My wife's 9 pound (all up) .338WM doesn't compare in velocity to those above, and is just a bit above 2900 mv with a 225 Barnes TTSX…..and "no weed burner"! She does quite well with it hunting……hates shooting from the bench. Soooooo she does minimal bench shooting with it….. bench shooting or practical feild shooting is what other rifles are to be used for.

You only need to shoot hunting rifles to be sufficiently proficient with them, after all they're hunting rifles…..right! 🤔 😉. Burn up the barrels on sump'n else! 😁 memtb
Where you been pard ? 🤗

I have 4 pounds and want to try in 300 RUM. Retumbo was my go to powder for years. Changed barrel and shooting heavier bullets. Been using N570. I want to try the Staball HD in 300 WM also.
I just bought another pound . For $45.95 I had to. Retumbo up to $53.95. Was $51.95 last month. Before that $49.95. I have enough that to last two life times. H1000 also now $51.95. Don't know why I did but bought some 30 cal 220 ELDX for $47.95. Old pricing. They have a tiny bit less BC than the 212 ELDX. I almost got some 225 ELDX 777 BC for $57.95. Was new pricing. He got in some Berger 215 hybrids for $82.95 😳 I still have two box's. Price tags are $74.95 and $64.95 😬 That's the update from here 😆
I quoted myself again today for second time ... 🙃

Last edited:
Trying to stay one step ahead of the law! 😜 Been a little busy, had to make a quick trip to Lincoln, Ne. and back this past week.

It appears that Spring is sneak'n up on us……..with all of the work that comes with it! memtb
I'm still on Parole... They let me out last month. You could of bailed me out you know... 🙄 They couldn't take my BS anymore I guess 😆
Yes ! Some 60 degree weather . Was 60 at my house when I left to go to buddy's gun store to blow money on stuff I don't need.