Why does my long range rifle have to weight 12lbs +?

The one thing I learned a long time ago is to ditch the hunting branded backpacks, and stick to the technical packs. You'll typically save a few pounds depending on the pack, and they are almost always more comfortable to carry.

This is something I have also found to be true. I ditched a very popular hunting pack and went back to a technical backpacking rig. I've used a lot of packs in my life including just about all the military versions. I have not found a dedicated hunting pack yet that has a quality suspension system similar to the "technical" packs used for climbing/backpacking. I have not had problems attaching my rifle to my Gregory.

Gordon

I'm getting older, and leave most of the weight at camp. I have light weight rifles for tromping around and very heavy rifles for use on a log landing and do not want the two sports getting mixed up too awfully much! Why would someone want to pack a heavy rifle around all day - One very popular reason for the featherweight mountain rifle in its appropriate cartridge choices. I don't think there are too many people that will deny the accuracy and lethality to deer sized animals with some of the smaller cartridges that are appropriate for feather weights, unless you happen to be in Australia or some place that has deer the size of small Elk. 4lbs. is a lot of weight if you do not need it and then how about packing 1 lb of bullets instead of 2. it all adds up. We can insult physics and barrel harmonics, but it isn't too often that I can get away with disrespecting it and slapping it in the face - !00 percent in agreement with the original question - Why? and now pose it as a statement!

Like most everyone id love to carry a lighter rifle and i keep saying to myself the next long range rifle i set up will be lighter, but the truth is heavier and longer rifles outperform lighter shorter rifles. Those of us who really want to get EVERTHING out of our favorite cartridges just dont want to sacrifice ANY acurracy for 3-4 lbs. Ill just work a little harder and tote it. Having said that i hope to be proved wrong as lighter SOUNDS great!

A rifle's weight has little to do with the accuracy they can produce. But heavier ones are easier to shoot accurately; they absorb more recoil while bullets go down their barrel and are easier to hold steady while aiming.

While I agree with Bart for the most part, I have seen and it stands to reason as well that a heavier barrel will be less affected by the very slight differences in charge weight and primer flash in ammunition that one might see from one round to the next. The heavier barrels/rifles will absorb more of the changes in vibration/harmonics caused by a slightly warmer or cooler load, making it easier to find an accurate load for the rifle. A lighter weight barrel will naturally flex more when it is fired and will be harder to make it do exactly the same thing every time with even the very slight differences seen from one round to the next in even the most maticulously loaded ammo. However once you find a good load for a light weight barrel that it consistently shoots well, provided you are willing to put in the time necessary to do so (most here certainly would), the weight of your rifle/barrel will make little difference and it comes down to the man pulling the trigger.

Accuracy is definitely about the shooter first and foremost, but whether its that heavier guns are easier to shoot or inherrently more accurate or both i dont know.

The heavier barrels/rifles will absorb more of the changes in vibration/harmonics caused by a slightly warmer or cooler load, making it easier to find an accurate load for the rifle.
Another popular myth.

A barrel's metal and shape define the frequency and their harmonics it vibrates at. They are the same for all loads fired.

So is 12lbs a good weight for a long range rig????? I can shoot much better with a heavy gungun)over a super light gun.

Coues7 -

I too hunt Coues deer so I fully understand the need to trim weight and hike miles to escape the crowds. I'm curious though, my setup is almost the same as yours:

10x42 SLC 1lb - 12oz
15x56 SLC 2lbs - 15oz
80 mm HD Swaro 3lbs - 11oz
Carbon Tri 2lbs - 13oz
Badlands Pack 3lbs - 1oz
Rangefinder - 8oz
Camera(s) 2lbs - 0oz
Misc 3lbs - 0oz knife, game bags, rope, matches, first aid
Lunch 1lbs - 8oz
Clothes 3lbs - 0oz
Water 5lbs - 0oz

Total 29lbs - 4oz (if my math is correct)

Even with the rifle I'm still 10lbs lighter than your setup. Just curious what the difference could be??

In response to the orginal question...With coues being so small I don't believe you need a large bored magnum rifle - my current goto coues rifle is a factory 25-06. We've taken deer out to 460yards with it without any problems. I know people who will say that's not long range but for a animal the size of a coues deer it is certainly approaching it.

To extend my range though (and for the fun of it) I just built what I hope will prove to be a great medium (inside 550yards) to longrange (outside 550yards) coues rifle...total build - rifle, scope, bipod and sling came in at just under 10lbs. For coues deer I just can't make an argument that they need to be any heavier than that as long as you practice enough (a lot) to be accurate at the maxium range you believe you will ever need to shoot at and at a target smaller than your intended target.

I will tell you though for this years hunt the 19lbs I lost before the season made the 6 mile days feel like a walk in the park. Too bad I've put almost half of it back on.

BTW, that was a nice buck you took.

No it dosn't have to weigh over 12 pounds but the truth of the mater is a lighter rifle is harder to shoot as well as a heavier one. So you first have to work out how far you are likely to carry your rifle then build it around your own personal hunting needs.

I skipped to the end so probably been covered...

I do it mainly to see my hits..bigger cartridge bigger gun. I too want one i can just pull out of my pocket if i ever see a good deer, in my life ever again. My method will be deciding on the smallest case suitable for my needs, then go from there. If it's deer sized and under, you can get away with smallish calibers.

Tom

I don't really see the pack weight and the rifle weight in the same conversation. For the most part, pack weight on on the hips/legs and shoulders. Your rifle is hanging off the end of your arm. Unless your walking up and down trails or ridge tops in a fully upright position, your rifle arm is constantly being extended, flexed and manipulated to provide balance. Terrain and soil/substrate is a huge factor. Steep hills with loose footing will have you waving your gun hand around like a flag at a 4th of July parade. A nose heavy rifle always wants to dip into the ground when climbing straight up and loose or slick footing makes that worse and harder to protect the rifle. Grip pressure is constant and heavier requires more grip, all day long. Whether you are aware of it or not, you rifle hand is constantly making adjustments and 3 or 4 extra pounds on the end of your arm is huge.

If you know where the animals will be and you walk there and set up and glass and don't move much, you can tote all the weight in the world but for some reason, the critters don't seem to cooperate in that fashion for me and I have to go find them. I find that carrying a rifle that is on the "to heavy" side causes me to concentrate a little to much on the rifle rather than paying attention to what's around me. I like to keep my rigs between 8.5 and 9.5 lbs.

I built a long range 338 RUM this year. It is a heavy(.920 at the muzzle) 28" barrel with brake. I never planned on carrying it 5 to 10 miles a day. I have a far lighter 300 Win Mag with a thin 26" bbl and an even lighter .308 for extended hikes.

I'd go thru my gear a little closer and see what can be dropped from the pack. Then I'd think about a little less gun and shooting under 600yds. I packed for serious distance my last two deer hunts and in the end, I stalked and shot from under 100yds both times.

My gun is a bit of overkill on pretty much everything under 1/2 a mile. But, there is a long range elk with a massive rack in it's future.

...Only macho man wants to lug a tank around and thats not me. I want as light of rifle as I can get and still have knock down power.

For me thats a 308 with a slim barrell and a couple pills (2) in the magazine. In reality, it should only take one pill to kill.......

The big guns are nice if you have a lackey to carry it. I don't.

I'd like to have a composite rifle that weighs less than 5 pounds, loaded, with scope. I just can't afford one right now.

I really like my big 338. I think it should be mounted on a pickup roof, in front of the sunroof.....:D

What a pig.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.