Why does my long range rifle have to weight 12lbs +?

The difference between the lightest rifles and a 12 lb rig is probably 4 or 5 lbs. I guess before I worry about the extra 5 lbs of the rifle I should worry more about the 15 or 20 lbs I need to loose.:D

^^^^
This is the only thing that ever need mentioned when people complain about a rifle being too heavy.
People are willing to train with their equipment to become a better shot, but aren't willing to train their body to maximize their effectiveness with the equipment they have.

That's backwards.

:):)Hot dang....I love guys like you! I find a nice over-view and plop down on my *** and let you guys with running shoes spook the game over me! Been working good for me for 50 years! Now...be sure to eat ya wheaties cuz I want ya to have plenty of get up and go come hunting season!!lightbulb:D

Re: Weight in pack versus weight in arms

I don't really see the pack weight and the rifle weight in the same conversation. For the most part, pack weight on on the hips/legs and shoulders. Your rifle is hanging off the end of your arm. Unless your walking up and down trails or ridge tops in a fully upright position, your rifle arm is constantly being extended, flexed and manipulated to provide balance. Terrain and soil/substrate is a huge factor. Steep hills with loose footing will have you waving your gun hand around like a flag at a 4th of July parade. A nose heavy rifle always wants to dip into the ground when climbing straight up and loose or slick footing makes that worse and harder to protect the rifle. Grip pressure is constant and heavier requires more grip, all day long. Whether you are aware of it or not, you rifle hand is constantly making adjustments and 3 or 4 extra pounds on the end of your arm is huge.

I like to keep my rigs between 8.5 and 9.5 lbs.

Exactly. We must be the weird ones. Can't believe others haven't expressed this difference between carrying a rifle in an arm versus weight carried within a well balanced backpack. If my rifle weight was inside my backpack, the extra weight wouldn't be as big a deal. Carried with my arms, 9 lbs versus 12 lbs is a difference I won't tolerate. I try to carry my rifles in a Kifaru gun bearer harness attached to my backpack when feasible, like when hiking in the open areas. But there's a lot of vegetated terrain covered such that this isn't always possible where I hunt.

My hunting is primarily backpack hunting, traveled by walking. Not riding an ATV.

Most of my hunting is back pack mountain climbing as well. As it is, my packs going in are anywhere from 50-60# depending on how long I'm going and what the size of the game is, sometimes more. Adding 10-15# to my pack is very noticeable and past my comfort zone. Coming out my packs might be 100-125# but its a mental thing. Packing trophies out makes the pain more acceptable! its usually down hill as well. granted down hill is harder on the knees with heavy loads, it's still easier. I don't carry my rifles in my back pack. I carry them by hand. Used as a walking stick. It gets swung all day. To me the difference between 11# and 12# is the difference between comfortable and uncomfortable. I find that what gets the most sore is the elbow. I've had tennis elbow from packing 12# plus rifles. Never with 11. My 6.5 is just under 10.5# without anything in the magazine. A tad over with ammo. It is very comfortable and pleasant for me to carry. I'm approaching 40 and maybe in 10 years 10.5# might be uncomfortable but for now it's good. I'll always have rifles as heavy as I am comfortable carrying. They move less in higher winds or on softer ground.

I'm approaching 40 and maybe in 10 years 10.5# might be uncomfortable but for now it's good. I'll always have rifles as heavy as I am comfortable carrying. They move less in higher winds or on softer ground.

I carried a 12.5 lb rifle 6 miles in, then up and down a mountain twice, on a Mt. Goat hunt near Seward when I was 37. It was survivable but it tended to take the fun out of the hunt, even though I came out with a nice Billy. Since then I've never backpacked any distance with a rifle that weighed more than 11 lbs all decked out. I'm 58 now, and I refuse to go over 10 lbs if there's much packing involved. My preference at 58 is nothing more than about 9.5 - 10 lbs.

At this rate, I'll have to stop backpack hunting when I'm 68, unless someone packs both my rifle and me in and out . . . :D

My plan is to build heavier rifles and pack less and shoot farther as I get older. But I will probably need help packing the meat out..:D

jeff

I think if I could get a 10lb rifle w/optics that I'd be happy.

get a 1" 6.5-20 leup add some light weight turrets; start with a 700 titanium short action. krieger barrel or equilvalent. senderos are 8.5 pounds . with the lighter scope and lighter action you should be right at 10#. the question is would you go with a 6.5, a 7mm or 300??

Well. Ifor long range hunting you will need a rifle weight from 12 lb +.
I have my 7 rm on 12 lb and my edge on 15 lb i took so many games with the 7 up to 1000 yards andi realy love the rifle. But passing one 1000 yards on elk or heavy moose you will need all the power and weight of the big magnums and is not comming lightweight they are heavy rifle.
I build for one of my friend one rifle on 7 rm with sporter barel for under 10 lb. I shoot that rifle myself but you get to mich movement because of the weight.
Hi is lomited at 700 yards just because of the rifle beeing to light.
We are talking about long range hunting. Not bush walking around all day.
If you build a heavy rifle you have to change your hunting stiles. here up in Alberta canada we have huge open spaces along the Rockies or plain rivers.
Each zone is with his own hunting style. Some you have to walk to your shooting spot and other is walking for 1 hour and then glass open cutlines or along the river beds q.
Here is comming handy heavy rifles with 14 lb weight shooting up to 1400 1600 yards
You sill have a huge advantage over the guys with light rifles who are walking all day trilying to spoke one deear at closed range.
Or sneak on elk herd on open country is cra zy. Use your edge or big magnum heavy rifle and take long shots without spooking your elk herd from 800 and up.
Rhis year i got my cow elk usong the edge from far away and im sorry for the other guys who tried to sneak closed to them all i did is range setup and let it loose from 800 yards.
After i get her down i noticed another 2 hunters who tried to have a closed approach to the same herd of elks q they wowore packing ligjt rifle never shoot 100 yards passed and end of story i got the elk and they end up with a nice walk

As kibi mentioned we ade long range hunting site and we try to take humanly games well over regular hinte ability of shooting.
You can drive at work on prius all day on 2 will drive but the guys driving heavy trucks 4 x 4 will nevef ever get stuck on heavy snowed riads
In another worlds 4x4 sill beat all the time a 2 will drive in mud or snow
That is the reason why we build heavy rifle and shoot big manum or am rifle . Just for that big trophy game out of reach for regular hunting guy
Some of the games are smarter and never let you get closer so here is comming handy the big heavy rifle to take confident shots past 800 yards.
This is the difference between a joe hunter guy who is bragging all day about how he could get his deer or you who train all summer on past thousand yards to be confident and fit to carry and shoot your heavy rifle.
I dong want to offend nobady so please excused my above statement if i offend you but tgid is the hunting reality here in alberta.
Be able to take long shots and fill your tags or hope for one blind. Deaf deer to get closd enough to take the shot on 300- 400 yafdz

Sorry for spelling errors. Im using my smart phone with touch screen and the keyboard is realy small to type fast and without spelling errors.

On my deployment to Afghanistan every time we left the wire, our packs alone were 100lbs. Not counting the 65 lbs of protective gear, along with the 16.5 pound rifle, which is the light 1 btw.

It won't matter 1 bit if it's a long or short action, if everything you have is as light as money can buy. If you don't train for this, it will always be difficult. You could leave that 12lb rifle at home and still struggle hiking with the 50 lb pack. The problem isn't the weight, its your preparation.

When you get into your late 50s, your opinions may evolve. Particularly when you hunt geography and terrain that can only be accessed by backpack hunting. For example, there aren't many roads in Alaska. And even 4-wheeler ATVs can't navigate up many river cuts in the mountains. If it's a hassle getting into the country being hunted, it only gets much more physically demanding coming out with a harvested game animal.

Lastly, I just enjoy myself more when not carrying around a 12lb + rifle. I agree that lighter rifles are more challenging to shoot and connect with at long range. Doesn't mean it can't be done.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.