Who's hunting Colorado this year ?

KYHILLJACK

When are you going and what are you after ?
Also, how long is your 'to do', 'need to buy', 'might buy' and 'take' lists ?

When are you going and what are you after ?
Also, how long is your 'to do', 'need to buy', 'might buy' and 'take' lists ?

1st season either sex in unit 15. Also have a cow tag for 2nd season unit 15. This is my first year hunting- I've been out scouting a few times and compiled a list of gear. I have most of it already. Would love for others input on my list. This isn't stuff I'll be carrying every day but that I'll at least have in the car. We're setting up a base camp that is car accessible and possibly spending a night or two in bivy bags with a remote drop off.

Hunting Gear
-Rifles
-Ammo
-First Aid kit
-Headlamps
-2 Knives
-Bone saw
-water bladder/Steri-pen Nalgene
-rope
-5 game bags
-emergency bivy
-camera
-GPS
-compass
-Maps
-biodegradable flagging to mark trails
-hunting license
-snacks (jerky, fruit, granola)
-lighter/fire starter
-backpack
-elk calls
-no scent

Hunting Clothing
-orange brimmed hat
-orange winter hat
-orange vest
-soft shell pants
-soft shell jacket
-wool socks
-boots
-base T-shirts
-patagonia puffy mid layer
-R1 hoody
-Under armor under wear pants
-winter gloves (thin and thick)
-rain jacket/pants
-clothes for ride home
-warm sleeping clothes
-relax shoes

Camp Gear
-futon mattress and Thermarest bed rolls
-sleeping bags/blankets
-4 pillows
-backcountry bed roll
-bivy bag
-main stove/propane
-pocket rocket
-pot set/utensils
-cleaning stuff
-tarp for rain (& cord)
-chairs
-axe/hatchet
-large coolers*************
-dry ice********************
-table
-thermos

The only thing I have left to do is work up a hand load and practice, and work on conditioning.

I just need to make sure I have enough ammo loaded for my two rifles.

I keep 90% of my gear in my horse trailer and four large bins with clothes and other stuff. I'll take an evening to go through it and leave in the morning. We will buy some nonperishable food prior to leaving, but other than that, it's easy for us. We have been going so many years the packing is easy.

We hunt unit 43. We use horses, sometimes camp out, usually not. The area we hunt is very rugged and difficult to access. We see hunters on the trails, sometimes.

1st season either sex in unit 15. Also have a cow tag for 2nd season unit 15. This is my first year hunting- I've been out scouting a few times and compiled a list of gear. I have most of it already. Would love for others input on my list. This isn't stuff I'll be carrying every day but that I'll at least have in the car. We're setting up a base camp that is car accessible and possibly spending a night or two in bivy bags with a remote drop off.

Hunting Gear
-Rifles
-Ammo
-First Aid kit
-Headlamps
-2 Knives
-Bone saw
-rope
-5 game bags
-emergency bivy
-camera
-GPS
-compass
-Maps
-hunting license
-lighter/fire starter
-backpack
-elk calls
-no scent

Hunting Clothing
-orange brimmed hat
-orange winter hat
-orange vest
-soft shell pants
-soft shell jacket
-wool socks
-boots
-base T-shirts
-R1 hoody
-rain jacket/pants
-clothes for ride home
-warm sleeping clothes
-relax shoes

Camp Gear
-sleeping bags/blankets
-4 pillows
-backcountry bed roll
-bivy bag
-main stove/propane
-pocket rocket
-pot set/utensils
-cleaning stuff
-tarp for rain (& cord)
-chairs
-axe/hatchet
-table
-thermos

The only thing I have left to do is work up a hand load and practice, and work on conditioning.

Thanks for posting your comprehensive list. Even though the items might vary from hunter to hunter, it's a good checklist for all of us.

I live in Grand Jct and hunting starts tonight for my 14 yr old grandson. We're doing an after-school bear hunt on opening day of fall bear season. He's got the tag, and I'm the spotter which is a perfect start to fall hunting for me.

I've got an elk tag for first rifle season in Oct, and I'll be ready if a grouse crosses our path tonight... :)

Hunting Gear
-Rifles
-Ammo
-First Aid kit
-Headlamps
-2 Knives
-Bone saw
-rope
-5 game bags
-emergency bivy
-camera
-GPS
-compass
-Maps
-hunting license
-lighter/fire starter
-backpack
-elk calls
-no scent

Hunting Clothing
-orange brimmed hat
-orange winter hat
-orange vest
-soft shell pants
-soft shell jacket
-wool socks
-boots
-base T-shirts
-R1 hoody
-rain jacket/pants
-clothes for ride home
-warm sleeping clothes
-relax shoes

Camp Gear
-sleeping bags/blankets
-4 pillows
-backcountry bed roll
-bivy bag
-main stove/propane
-pocket rocket
-pot set/utensils
-cleaning stuff
-tarp for rain (& cord)
-chairs
-axe/hatchet
-table
-thermos

Throw in a gun cleaning rod and kit just in case. Polarized sunglasses help in the late morning and afternoon also. If you knock one down check out the gutless quartering videos on youtube. Tried it last year and it worked great. Used the new Havalon knife and just one blade to skin and quarter my bull.

Throw in a gun cleaning rod and kit just in case. Polarized sunglasses help in the late morning and afternoon also. If you knock one down check out the gutless quartering videos on youtube. Tried it last year and it worked great. Used the new Havalon knife and just one blade to skin and quarter my bull.

Thanks that's something I forgot. I've definitely been watching the gutless method videos a lot and it's my plan! I've got a nice fixed benchmade that should get the job done but I also have a spyderco folder as a backup

3rd season for me with an OTC tag. Not sure where we'll end up yet, will be watching the weather for the next 8 weeks. Probably 71/711 somewhere, at least I'm familiar with it.

This will be my first real elk hunt. Had a tag one other time but spent most of the time helping our friends that drew deer tags.

Taking 2 first time big game hunters with me too, so I have an extra challenge. If we end up where I'm planning, we'll hike in 3 miles and set up spike camp, then hunt from there. One may buy a cow tag too.

Going to spend a few more weekends at the range and getting in shape for the hunt. I have all my maps made and I'm already going through my gear and checklists.

This was a little of a last minute deal. We were expecting to draw our 3rd rifle deer tags, but missed on a pure draw this year. Decided 2 weeks ago that I couldn't miss another hunting season and killing pheasants in Mexico just didn't do it for me last year. My two partners had been bugging me to take them for a few years, so I figured this was a good way to break them in and not feel like risking a drawn tag.

No matter what, we'll have a good time in the mountains and come back with lots of stories.

Thanks for posting your comprehensive list. Even though the items might vary from hunter to hunter, it's a good checklist for all of us.

I live in Grand Jct and hunting starts tonight for my 14 yr old grandson. We're doing an after-school bear hunt on opening day of fall bear season. He's got the tag, and I'm the spotter which is a perfect start to fall hunting for me.

I've got an elk tag for first rifle season in Oct, and I'll be ready if a grouse crosses our path tonight... :)

Me and my buddies have each put $20 in a pot, and the winner is the first guy to cook a grouse for dinner in elk camp. Those things scare the holy crap right out of me every year when they flush from about 3 feet away. So this year they're on the dinner menu. :)

I've got an archery OTC either sex elk tag, and am backpacking in to unit 41 on sept 18th for the remainder of the archery season. Then back out again to the same spot for the first rifle season with a draw elk tag and an OTC bear tag. If I'm lucky I'll get a quick buck hunt the last weekend of the 2nd rifle season.

I'm down to my last two packs of elk burger, so I am very motivated to fill up the freezer!

I got landowner tags for elk and deer in Unit 481 2nd rifle figured I'd spend the money on the vouchers instead of trying the draw since this is my only chance to take advantage of being a resident here before moving back to South Dakota.

3rd season for me with an OTC tag. Not sure where we'll end up yet, will be watching the weather for the next 8 weeks. Probably 71/711 somewhere, at least I'm familiar with it.

This will be my first real elk hunt. Had a tag one other time but spent most of the time helping our friends that drew deer tags.

Taking 2 first time big game hunters with me too, so I have an extra challenge. If we end up where I'm planning, we'll hike in 3 miles and set up spike camp, then hunt from there. One may buy a cow tag too.

Going to spend a few more weekends at the range and getting in shape for the hunt. I have all my maps made and I'm already going through my gear and checklists.

This was a little of a last minute deal. We were expecting to draw our 3rd rifle deer tags, but missed on a pure draw this year. Decided 2 weeks ago that I couldn't miss another hunting season and killing pheasants in Mexico just didn't do it for me last year. My two partners had been bugging me to take them for a few years, so I figured this was a good way to break them in and not feel like risking a drawn tag.

No matter what, we'll have a good time in the mountains and come back with lots of stories.

As far as I know there's no OTC cow tags and good luck I hope you are in good shape, you will need to be for 71/711 that's my back yard, i will be hunting 1st season in this area. If you haven't been working out your already in trouble. at 8000-10000 ft altitude sickness is a real threat. My advice is arrive a few days early eat a high calorie high protein diet and walk at altitude but don't over do it.

I've got a first season either sex tag for unit 28. My landlord lives in unit 18 and he said they haven't heard a peep from the elk yet. No cow calls or anything so I have some hope that the elk might still be rutting during 1st rifle season.

As far as I know there's no OTC cow tags and good luck I hope you are in good shape, you will need to be for 71/711 that's my back yard, i will be hunting 1st season in this area. If you haven't been working out your already in trouble. at 8000-10000 ft altitude sickness is a real threat. My advice is arrive a few days early eat a high calorie high protein diet and walk at altitude but don't over do it.

Well there ya go, just shows how long it's been since I looked at the elk section of the regs. Last I remember you could add a cow tag to your bull tag, but I guess that isn't the case anymore.

We are all already in decent shape, and I'm confident we'll do just fine. Like I said, I do know 71/711 fairly well, as my family has been hunting deer there for over 40 years, and it's been close to 20 years since I started. Should be a fun new challenge, but I really do enjoy our deer hunting there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.