Who will make a Titanium action for me

James Jones

I've got a couple pieces of Titanium (6AL-4V) that I would like to make an action out of. Does anybody know off hand if Lawton ,GA Precision or anybody else will make a Rem700 style action for Ti ??

Do you have a spec sheet for your metal? If not they probably won't even get started on the project. There is a place in MT that makes TI actions. I am pretty sure you can find it on google but if not let me know and I can run down the info.

Why not buy a Ti action from Surgeon??? Their new XL is taking orders and they make first quality products. Overbore

Ti Is not fun to machine. If you found someone that made actions that would be willing to make one for you they would more than likely need to re-tool for it and re program. Maybe even re think their process. This can be very expencive so be ready when they tell you. Lawton makes the GAP recivers and may be your best bet for a custom.

What is your reasoning for wanting TI? If you want strength chromolly beats it. TI is a bit lighter, but its not really all its cracked up to be.

Barney Lawton will not make a Ti action.

Depending on what caliber your going to use, Ti will not stand up to the constant hammering on the locking lug abutments. Smaller rounds will work ok, anything from the magnums on up to the big mags don't try it. I build the Full bolt style Ti actions, they have a steel abutment inside, this is the only way i can use them on the 338-408 wildcats. Making a Rem style action would be extremely expensive, you would need the inside WIRE EDM cut, aprox 400.00 for the one operation. Then the long process of machining the rest of the action. Special tools are required, taps alone are 35.00 ea. It is neat stuff when it is all done, but figure 3 times longer in the machine as to 4140 or 17-4 stainless.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.