Who can tell me about a 6.5 WSM?

dwm

Is it simply a 270 WSM necked down to 6.5mm?

If so, could I then buy a 270 WSM Redding bushing die set and then use 6.5 bushings and be good-to-go?

What kind of velocity can be achieved with 140 Berger VLDs in a 26 inch barrel?

Would it be pretty much the same as a 264 Win Mag?

Would it better to go to a 6.5x284 or 6.5-06AI?

Would it burn out the throat/barrel in 700 rounds?

What do you think? :)rolleyes:)

I can at least answer the 2 first questions.

1. I've seen 2 diffrent versions, #1 is a 6.5x.300 WSM (Same thing as a 6.5x.270WSM) and #2 is a 6.5x7mm WSM they are two diffrent cartridges because of the diffrences in the parent cases shoulder placement.

(I guess I've seen Improved versions with 40 degree shoulders as well, I forgot about those.)

2. Yes Bushing dies will work for this application, but you could possibly need either the 7WSM or the .270WSM depending on the version you choose. It would be a good way to get the best dies for this cartridge.

Dan

Last edited:
Just guessing, but I would think you'd be better off doing a 6.5-300wsm than the 6.5-7mmwsm because Norma makes brass for the 300 and 270 wsm but not the 7mm wsm. The shoulder of the 7 is slightly longer and a shorter case neck.

there are a few people here that have 6.5 wsm's so I'd wait for someone more familiar than I to answer as well.

I have a 6.5 WSM and I form brass from Norma 270 WSM brass. I have a custom sizing die that came with the rifle and a set of Lee 6.5 WSM dies. I have been shooting the Sierra 140 gr SBT at 3200 fps out of my 26" Lilja barrel and I think that is about all you could reasonably expect with that bullet weight. Don't have any idea of how many rounds I will get out of the barrel but mine has had around 250 rds down the tube and shoots better than I do. I plan on trying some 140 gr Partitions since they have virtually the same BC as the Sierras and ought to turn this excellent round into a real show stopper for anything from elk on down. You are correct in comparing it to the 264 WM, velocities are virtually identical. I don't perceive the recoil to be any worse than a 270 Winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.